Tax Question

C

Chaz

I am a South African citizen living and working in Ireland under a professional ICT visa (work authorisation) since 2003. At the end of 2003 i noticed my tax was incorrect (I was paying single persons tax while I am married). This was fixed and I received a refund of more than i expected.

I have done some reading - am I elegible to claim back the tax I pay in Ireland? We are not entitled to anything in Ireland in the form of dole or other benefits although we do get child benefit etc and I pay normal tax etc.

Could be PRSI (i think this is the correct one) that pays for some services that i can, while resident but not citizen in Ireland, benefit from?

There are sites like www.taxback.com that seem to indicate this is possible. Perhaps some of the tax I got back in 2003 was high as it included this?

Thanks for any help.

not sure if you're entitled to prsi back but it seems unfair that you would have to pay for services which you are not entitled to avail of. are you sure you're precluded?

would suggest you contact dept. of social welfare at:

International Records Section
Social Welfare Services Office
Floor 2
Oisín House
Pearse Street
Dublin 2
Telephone: Dublin (01) 704 3000

The taxback.com sites a good site as they gave me an estimate years ago and also got the paperwork for me!

What do you mean "upfront" cost? I thought that they took a fairly hefty percentage of any tax reclaimed as remuneration for their services? No harm in that if they can get it from punters who are willing to pay but ultimately tax reclaims are something that individuals can do on their own.

No harm at all! I guess its the old story of time v money. At 19 I didnt know or have time to figure out USA tax law, I think the fee was about $US60 (10%)

Back