Tax on shares

D

danboo

Last year, oct 2005 I paid cap gains tax and income tax on shares i had(for 2004). Did my calculations myself - 20% on cap gain (with index) and as my dividends had 20% taken off at source, I took off the extra i owed and paid that up too.

I've not heard anything from the tax man or recieved a receipt or any acknowledgement.

Is this the way they normally operate? And - if I never bothered paying tax, how would they know i hadn't? It seems a pretty shabby way to do things in my opinion?

Thanks

In my experience, when you pay and file a CGT return you get at least a receipt acknowledging payment. Did you not get this?

How exactly did you pay and file these returns (i.e. both the CGT and the additional income tax over and above DWT on dividends) - e.g. what forms did you use and where did you send them and the payments?

I filled out a Form 12, put my calculations under the relevant sections, ie CGT, section 41, did my dividends under section 17, though I must say, it was hard to understand but an accountant in the company said to attach an appendage showing myy dividend calculation.

But I've not heard a dickie bird.

thanks Club.

Back