Tax on selling items (eBay)

gotsomenow

Hi,

Might be a silly question, but I haven't a clue when it comes to all the rules and regulations of the taxman. I couldn't find info on revenue.ie, but I may have been using incorrect search terms.

I did a clear out at home and sold the items on eBay, I got around €300 for all of the stuff I sold, i.e. Computer Games etc...

Do I have to pay a portion of the €300 to the taxman?

Thanks

G

Provided this was just a clear out of everyday items and you're not planning to start buying and selling to make a living, then you don't have to pay tax or make any returns.

Oh thats great! I've only done it once, but with the amount of stuff my other half buys and then doesn't use I could make it a quarterly thing.

where is the line on this?
I buy lots of stuff on ebay and sell a few hundred € of my own stuff a year through ebay and buyandsell.

I just sell unwanted items/gifts, old games, expensive clothes i don't wear anymore, that type of thing. It is certainly not a business but I do sell things regularly. Is there a threshold that I should be aware of?

There's no threshold as such, it depends on the nature of what you are doing. If you are buying goods to resell them you'll probably be liable for tax. If you're just selling your own second hand goods you won't be.

Back