Tax novice looking for help.

G

geri

Hi,
I am hoping someone will be able to give me some advice on 2004 tax returns.
I have been a PAYE worker for the last 16 years. Last August, myself and another person started renting out a house which we jointly own. This person is also a PAYE worker. We are not a married couple and we don't live in the house. The tenants are applying for rent relief, so I called the tax office to see who's PPS number they should put on the form. I was advised that they should put both numbers on the form, and that we should be assessed separatly for tax purposes. I have given the numbers to the tenants. Next I enquired about filing the TAX return for 2004, and I was sent in the post two TR1 forms. I'm not sure if I need to fill these out as it seems this form is used for getting a PPS or VAT number?
The person I spoke to in the tax office seemed confused by what we needed to do as individiuals. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what forms we need to fill out etc. Finally, the figures (per person) for 2004 look something like this

Rent recieved 3000
Interest paid 2298
Insurance 210
Depreciation 500
Looks to me like I don't owe anything. By the way, I am a complete Tax novice, like alot of PAYE workers I expect ...... so all advice appreciated.
G.

If I was you I'd get an accountant to do the return for me as the risk of getting it wrong as a novice may be high as may be the costs of this happening.

Tax novice

Thanks for the advice. Any rough estimate as to the fee for this service?
G.

Back