Tax implications for gift of 25K

Winter glow

Hi, my mum wants to transfer €25,000 to me as a gift. Will that be exempt from tax? I have read the CAT document but I'm still not clear. Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

You can receive a gift of € 3,000 from a person in a year tax-free
So your mother can give you € 3,000 tax-free
The balance of € 22,000 may be taxable
You can receive € 335,000 from your parents tax free through-out your lifetime from Dec 2001 to whenever you die
So the tax on balance of € 22,000 will depend on whether you have received previous gifts or inheritances from your parents since Dec 2001
As you have not specified this, it is not possible to say whether the € 22,000 is taxable or not

Your mother can give you €3,000 tax free
Your father can give you €3,000 tax free
Your mother can give your spouse/partner €3,000 tax free
Your father can give your spouse/partner €3,000 tax free
Your M and F can give each of your children €3,000 tax free

The above can be repeated tax free each calendar year.

You can use all of the above that may be applicable to you.

Your mother can give you €3,000 tax free
Your father can give you €3,000 tax free
Your mother can give your spouse/partner €3,000 tax free
Your father can give your spouse/partner €3,000 tax free
Your M and F can give each of your children €3,000 tax free

The above can be repeated tax free each calendar year.

You can use all of the above that may be applicable to you.

Great breakdown, thanks cremeegg. We're gifting about 18k to our parents soon and were wondering what to do. One question for you, myself and my wife will transfer 3k each to each off my parents but then to they need to do anything in relation to revenue? Or do they just fill it in when doing their end of year tax return?
Thanks

@jpd the C.A.T. aggregation date is 5th December 1991 (not Dec 2001). This means any prior gifts or inheritance received since latter date are added together to see if you have exceeded your tax free threshold amount

Back