Tax credits - still have credit for rent allowance?

muffin1973

Hi all,

I just realised that my Tax credits include a credit for rent allowance. I have had a mortgage since last October but stopped renting about this time last year - how do I get this removed and will the allowance be claimed back by the Revenue?? It's only a small amount....

thanks

M

Just write to them explaining when you stopped renting and when you started your mortgage and they should sort it out by adjusting your tax credits. You should make sure that you are also claiming [broken link removed]. I would have assumed that if you were claiming this then they would have noticed the discrepancy inherent in claiming rent relief at the same time.

Hi Clubman

Exactly - I have been claiming the mortgage tax relief since October (we've recently moved so are in the process of reapplying for it) so I thought they would amend my credits without me having to advise them. Hence, I didn't notice it still on there till the other day....

thanks

M

Strange - I would have expected "the system" to flag the inconsistency of claiming both at the same time. Mind you their new online system allowed me to transfer my wife's PAYE credit to me and that's not allowed either and it needs manual intervention to fix it!

PAYE Self Service On-line

I'm still finding it handier to write to them than to use their online system to keep things up to date.

So would I...

Is that the reachservices.ie you're talking about? I've just registered on it and they have to send me out a PIN before I can do anything - well, that's how I understand it anyway. Sounds like a good idea although as you say, it's obviously got a few glitches in it?!

M

Back