Tax Credit on University Fees

Sorry to bring more bad news but the 3250 charge comprises the 3000 registration fee and a 250 student levy - the latter is not eligible for tax relief either I'm afraid as it's not related to tuition.

The full cost of 3rd level education is probably closer to 10k per year (or a lot more for some subjects) so the registration fee is only a contribution to this. All student services - gym, student health, student supports, IT services, the library etc. are all running and available to students even though teaching may be online.

Sorry to bring more bad news but the 3250 charge comprises the 3000 registration fee and a 250 student levy - the latter is not eligible for tax relief either I'm afraid as it's not related to tuition.

The full cost of 3rd level education is probably closer to 10k per year (or a lot more for some subjects) so the registration fee is only a contribution to this. All student services - gym, student health, student supports, IT services, the library etc. are all running and available to students even though teaching may be online.

Fair enough, I have got over the initial shock of the numbers notwithstanding I had some awareness of them.... obviously not enough! My main point was the complete lack of support from government via tax credits. They have a massive vested interest in producing educated graduates:
- supports the attraction of FDI and indigenous businesses
- graduates earn more and consequently pay more tax/social insurance over their working lives
- graduates earn more so are not a drain on the social welfare system

It is more the social contract concept I was getting at. Govt has a massive vested interest in producing high calibre graduates but, apart from building fine university facilities (and they do that), they provide zero support other than SUSI grants which are completely out of reach for even moderately paid people. That was my main point

Fair enough, I have got over the initial shock of the numbers notwithstanding I had some awareness of them.... obviously not enough! My main point was the complete lack of support from government via tax credits. They have a massive vested interest in producing educated graduates:
- supports the attraction of FDI and indigenous businesses
- graduates earn more and consequently pay more tax/social insurance over their working lives
- graduates earn more so are not a drain on the social welfare system

It is more the social contract concept I was getting at. Govt has a massive vested interest in producing high calibre graduates but, apart from building fine university facilities (and they do that), they provide zero support other than SUSI grants which are completely out of reach for even moderately paid people. That was my main point
All courses are subsidised by the State, the full economic cost is not charged to users so to state (continuously) that they provide zero support is incorrect.

All courses are subsidised by the State, the full economic cost is not charged to users so to state (continuously) that they provide zero support is incorrect.

Thanks, I literally was only informed of that only 10 minutes ago at the coffee kiosk I go to (the ultimate citizens advice bureau!) the government pays €7,000 as a subsidy and you pay the net €3,000. I was not aware of that before. I suppose that ends my rant!

It could be argued that our highly progressive income tax system already acts as a de facto graduate tax.

That is true but if we just ringfence the student loan bit, I foresaw a debt built up over 4 years and paid off by a Student Levy operated like PRSI over the students working like. In simplistic terms, it would be a 2.5% levy on earnings over say 40 years

That is true but if we just ringfence the student loan bit, I foresaw a debt built up over 4 years and paid off by a Student Levy operated like PRSI over the students working like. In simplistic terms, it would be a 2.5% levy on earnings over say 40 years
Yeah, but what happens if someone moves abroad and never works in Ireland again? I think the current system discriminates against working class people, there is a whole pile of work needed to ensure equality of access to third level education and also a re-think of what we value in society. The constant focus on third level education devalues those who chose (or can't afford) to attend third-level. A greater focus on apprenticeships and a basic income would be better in my opinion but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Yeah, but what happens if someone moves abroad and never works in Ireland again? I think the current system discriminates against working class people, there is a whole pile of work needed to ensure equality of access to third level education and also a re-think of what we value in society. The constant focus on third level education devalues those who chose (or can't afford) to attend third-level. A greater focus on apprenticeships and a basic income would be better in my opinion but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

I certainly do not disagree on the apprenticeships side of things and the excess of third level graduates but my original point was on the lack of support for people putting kids through third level. It has since been clarified that there is a hidden subsidy by government of €7000 which I wasn't aware of. That said, there are 120 in my daughter's course so, that is a €1.2m pa fee income to the institution. It strikes me as a huge figure for just one course involving maybe 750 - 800 hours lectures, most of which are online anyway. It seems an excessive income for just one year of one course but that is a different argument. I started off this thread looking at the lack of tax credits for a big outlay by parents. I am still sticking to that notwithstanding my Damascene moment this morning!

That is an extraordinary indictment of a type of bonded slavery, a feudal system that should have disappeared with the 16th century. I genuinely was not aware of that

Just to mention for those who might be interested, The Journal have just published an exposé on academic precarity in Ireland. Stark figures and the gender gap particularly apparent - women's work is not valued and not permanent. https://www.thejournal.ie/academic-uncertainty-pt1-5265163-Nov2020/

If the €1085 is an administration/registration fee you cannot claim any tax relief on that either.

Of course accommodation fees should , at the very least, qualify for tax relief.

Unfortunately the rent tax credit ended a few years ago. I think it was a way of getting (undeclared income of) private landlords into the tax system back in the 90's/00's. Probably no use to the exchequer now, as many student accommodation blocks are built under special tax relief schemes.

I favour the general view of the OP viz: fees and the cost. Of course the 3rd level fees are subsidied, I presume the OP has some references available to the cost of other world-wide intitutes and their fees. However, until the primary & secondary schools are financed properly, which 100% of the population is entitled to go, and the full cost school books, materials and "voluntary contributions ended", any hope of completely free 3rd level is off the cards and is a fantasy.

Of course its in the Govt intererest to have good calibre graduates. But, lets not kid ourselves, its actually more to do with YOUR interest and your sons & daughters. Certainly when I was in Uni in the late '80's surviving on 55IR£ to live on , including food & accomadation 7 days a week, I wasnt thinking of the Govt, but just about how the hell I could get qualified, and get out of here and avoid the vast dole queues in Gardener St.

I'm working ever since, but I dont work for the Govt, I work to better my family first & foremost, so , if it means paying 12k a year for my son/daughter to go to UCD or CIT, I'll pay it, and forego the holiday/car/sky sports.

I favour the general view of the OP viz: fees and the cost. Of course the 3rd level fees are subsidied, I presume the OP has some references available to the cost of other world-wide intitutes and their fees. However, until the primary & secondary schools are financed properly, which 100% of the population is entitled to go, and the full cost school books, materials and "voluntary contributions ended", any hope of completely free 3rd level is off the cards and is a fantasy.

Of course its in the Govt intererest to have good calibre graduates. But, lets not kid ourselves, its actually more to do with YOUR interest and your sons & daughters. Certainly when I was in Uni in the late '80's surviving on 55IR£ to live on , including food & accomadation 7 days a week, I wasnt thinking of the Govt, but just about how the hell I could get qualified, and get out of here and avoid the vast dole queues in Gardener St.

I'm working ever since, but I dont work for the Govt, I work to better my family first & foremost, so , if it means paying 12k a year for my son/daughter to go to UCD or CIT, I'll pay it, and forego the holiday/car/sky sports.

My broader point though Fidel is that Irish society and government has skin in the game in supporting further education as it leads to increased salaries, increased taxes and is an attraction for FDI companies. I accept, as some poster pointed out, that course fees are already heavily subsidised but every support should be given to parents to put their kids through college.

The UK system works well. You pay 9% of gross income after marginal income of around 20k. So even if you finish with 60k of debt it's likely you will never pay it all back, it's more like a tax that even follows you to other countries. The government can do an accounting trick to classify the money it will likely never get back so it doesn't appear as as government debt. On the downside it is hard to police foreign students or those who move abroad and choose not to keep paying.

Back