Motor Tax car with no Ins. policy

seract

Hi I've got an old banger at home my partner used to drive,its taxed till end of sept.The car is registered in her name,so I can drive it on my own policy with the drive other cars clause.My partner got a new car and changed over her insurance.Is there anyway to get this old car taxed without having to take out a second insurance policy? Or is this just rip off Ireland at work again.

You can't drive a car without it been insured. The "drive other cars" clause requires that the 'other car' be independently insured.

Your wife has a new car and a new policy, I take it that she canceld the insurance on the old car? Even if you put the old car in your name, you can't drive it under your insurance police which allows you to drive other cars, as the other cars you drive must be taxed and insured. You cannot tax or drive an uninsured car.

these are two distinctly different items.

it is the law that any car used on the public roadway is TAXED. You cannot tax the car if it not insured.

your motor policy covers you to drive 'any motor car, NOT the property of the insured or hired to him under a HP agreement'. The car you are driving under your DOC does NOT have to be insured in its own right. Read the exact wording of your DOC.

your motor policy covers you to drive 'any motor car, NOT the property of the insured or hired to him under a HP agreement'. The car you are driving under your DOC does NOT have to be insured in its own right. Read the exact wording of your DOC.

Then you should possibly have advised the OP that some insurers exclude driving a car that is owned by a spouse/family member/partner under their DOC. Not all, but a lot do!

... your motor policy covers you to drive 'any motor car, NOT the property of the insured or hired to him under a HP agreement'. The car you are driving under your DOC does NOT have to be insured in its own right. Read the exact wording of your DOC.
That's pretty much how mine is worded. The insurance company will expect that to have DOC operational, the original car identified on the policy must be parked up i.e. two cars cannot be in use concurrently on the same policy.

That's pretty much how mine is worded. The insurance company will expect that to have DOC operational, the original car identified on the policy must be parked up i.e. two cars cannot be in use concurrently on the same policy.
Thats pretty much my reading of it too when car identified on policy is parked up you can drive any car insured or not.I just thought there might be some loophole as regards tax but apparently not.Thanks for the reply anyway.

Back