Taste of Dublin/The Big Grill

It sounds rubbish to be fair.

The original concept was that you’d pay in and then get freebies which was a form of marketing for those businesses.

Now each concession seems to be trying to make money in its own right.

It’s like the Ideal Homes exhibition of each stand charged you to look at their stuff.

It sounds rubbish to be fair.

The original concept was that you’d pay in and then get freebies which was a form of marketing for those businesses.

Now each concession seems to be trying to make money in its own right.

It’s like the Ideal Homes exhibition of each stand charged you to look at their stuff.
That's a rubbish way to run a business. Like letting an influencer eat for free if they review it on instagram.

All of the stalls have to pay to be there. they are also selling produce over 4 days and paying staff too. they need to charge. With a lot of these events where there's tokens, they don't get 100% of the tokens either, so it can be expensive. I have seen it at craft beer festivals where a lot of the smaller breweries have stopped going because it costs them too much to have a stand at the event.

I wasn't aware that it was on until yesterday but would have gone if I did. I love bbq'ing, so it is right up my street.

That's a rubbish way to run a business. Like letting an influencer eat for free if they review it on instagram.

All of the stalls have to pay to be there. they are also selling produce over 4 days and paying staff too. they need to charge. With a lot of these events where there's tokens, they don't get 100% of the tokens either, so it can be expensive. I have seen it at craft beer festivals where a lot of the smaller breweries have stopped going because it costs them too much to have a stand at the event.

I wasn't aware that it was on until yesterday but would have gone if I did. I love bbq'ing, so it is right up my street.
In your view…

if you love BBQ'ing it still wouldnt have been right up your street :), for an event marketed as the big grill the food offerings didnt hit the mark imo.

Paying 30 quid per adult in is a rubbish way to spend your money, you get nothing for it (bar some pretty weak 'entertainment') and would be better off going the market in Dun Laoghaire for example.

I was at this also and cost aside the main problem was the queues, up to 45 minutes at some vendors just to order and not always available instantly. I had a free ticket from a friend who's OH couldn't make it anymore and it was an enjoyable day due to the weather but if I'd have paid I'd feel let down about the amount of time wasted queueing and the entertainment being pretty poor.

So four adults would pay over a €100 to get into the event before putting a bite of food in their mouths??!! Surely that €100 would be far better spent at a restaurant and would take most of the hit out of the bill!!. With the advantages of sitting down. On a chair. Without queueing, indeed being waited upon (!). With proper cutlery.

Anyone who thinks events structured in this manner are a good way to entertain themselves is deluded.

Back