Switching to PTSB and ATM stamp duty

smiley

I am going to switch frm BoI to PTSB (no bank charges)..

I asked them would they pay the 40 euro (atm card + laser stamp duty) incurred due to the goverment stamp duty levy...they sais it was not possible...in other words it was possible but they dont want to pay it.

Has anybody out there managed to get PTSB to pay the atm+ laser stamp duty levy for them???

You would imagine they would pay it if they thought you would not open a bank account with them if they didnt.

Anybody succeeded id getting them to pay the levy??

If you've already paid the charge through BoI for the coming year then you don't have to pay it again anyway. See [broken link removed].

if you change before the 1st of january 2006 you will be charged again....according to revenue.

But what about [broken link removed]?
Budget 2005

Budget 2005 created an exemption from a second or subsequent charge to stamp duty when switching accounts within an institution, or from one institution to another. These exemptions take effect from 2 April 2005 when switching credit cards or charge cards.

If you switch accounts after 2 April 2005 you should pay the stamp duty to old Bank/Card Issuer on closing the account. It will be requested in your final statement. Your old Bank/Card Issuer will then issue you with a Letter of Closure. This letter will confirm that you have paid the stamp duty for the period in question. You should present this letter to your new Bank/Card Issuer, who will not bill you for stamp duty for that period.

...that only relates to credit cards....rules below apply to atm/laser cards..

If you switch accounts either within an institution or between institutions before 1 January 2006, you will almost certainly incur a double charge to stamp duty in the period that you switch cards.

If you switch accounts on or after the1 January 2006 then you should not incur a double duty. You just close your old account and your new bank will collect the stamp duty, usually in December of that year.

...anyway...i thought it was €40 you would have to pay but looks like it is a total of only €20 now, which isnt too bad.

Sorry - I misread your post as referring to credit cards due to the initial mention of €40 stamp duty. Yes - ATM and Laser cards are subject to €10 stamp duty each with a combined card being subject to €20.

Back