Switching mortgage - Unpaid LPT for over four years

Ladyelf

I'm in the process of switching mortgages from a vulture fund. I have been unemployed since the end of 2019 and receiving state benefits (a period of nine months where I wasn't receiving anything). I am unable to work for the rest of my life.

My husband works thankfully but the LPT used to come from my wages and when I stopped working it obviously wasn't paid anymore.

Will this effect me during the switch?

I have been offered a switch with a bank this week thankfully.

I don't think that lenders are concerned about LPT arrears.
But it would still be a good idea to get on top of the arrears and back on track with payment of this tax especially given that interest applies on arrears.
Otherwise you're just kicking that can down the road.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, definitely. I had initially thought they would just switch it to coming out of my husbands account and then things went a bit off the rails with my illness so it wasn't at the forefront of my mind and I forgot.

I've been worried about all these mortgage increases and trying to learn about what to do when it suddenly dawned on me but I'm afraid to call them in case they want it all back in one go cause I can't do that, I didn't even know there was interest till you mentioned it.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, definitely. I had initially thought they would just switch it to coming out of my husbands account and then things went a bit off the rails with my illness so it wasn't at the forefront of my mind and I forgot.

I've been worried about all these mortgage increases and trying to learn about what to do when it suddenly dawned on me but I'm afraid to call them in case they want it all back in one go cause I can't do that, I didn't even know there was interest till you mentioned it.
Whatever you do don't bury your head in the sand on this. You will regret it. Sorry to hear about your illness, no wonder you're in a bit of a tiz. I do think you need to call revenue though, and explain the situation to get actual figures from them on how much you owe.

If you log into the lpt section of myaccount, you can check how much you owe per year . If you can afford to pay off some of it , you can do that through the website . You might not be charged interest and the sooner the better

Would you qualify for an exemption of LPT under the following given your illness? Thought the wording makes me think that it would need to be a property specifically purchased for this reason no harm in checking.

Properties purchased, adapted or built for use by incapacitated persons​

If you are registered as disabled you can apply for an exemption of the part of the house you occupy. E.g. converted extension with wet room. That percentage of the house you do not pay properly tax but you may pay for the rest.

Back