Switch to Tesco credit card?

T

Tesco Shopper

I currently have a BOI credit card. Happy with the service and all that.
I'm thinking of switching to the Tesco credit card (obviously before 1st April to avoid double charging of stamp duty). Reason being to avail of the 'money-back' you receive by way of *points* earned for use of credit card - hopefully this will counteract the €40 stamp duty.
I will not have a balance to transfer, and I pay my bill in full every month.
Does anyone have experience of Tesco's credit card ......... is there any "catch" etc ???

Switch to Tesco Credit Card ??

I have one and am happy with it! No catches or anything like that.

PP

I didn't think it was possible to avoid the double €40 charge.

If you close your CC account they'll charge you €40 and come April you'll pay €40 on each open CC account.

Someone correct me if I've got this wrong..

That's correct, except that if you haven't already paid SD on an account then it will be charged if/when it is closed. The only way to avoid a double stamp duty charge is to time the closing of one account and opening of the new one carefully so that they "straddle" the normal annual CC SD payment date. See for more information.

Re: Switch to Tesco Credit Card ??

Clubman, that straddling of dates has disappeared. Can you refresh us as to how it is successfully done. I have a boi visa also and am thinking of changing to tesco too.

Tesco Shopper said:
Does anyone have experience of Tesco's credit card ......... is there any "catch" etc ???

The service was appalling I thought

Hi

Personally, I have had one of their cards and did indeed find the service poor:

* No online facilities
* Limited telephone service (even the automated balance enquiry facility gets the weekends & nights off work)
* Transactions get held up regularly, due to "security" checks which can cause embarrisment
* Not many banks will accept the giro payments and funds seem to take longer to get allocated than, for example, MBNA

- If its points your after, consider the Pigsback MBNA card as an alternative - 4,000 Pigsback points if you get it up & running before the end of Feb'06 ;)

Cheers

G>
http://www.rpoints.com/newbie

I also have a Tesco Credit Card and put up with the inconveniences for the sake of the 'Clubcard Points'.

Apart from the other issues listed, I found they send out the replacement cards very close to (or in one case 2 weeks after) the expiry date. A problem for me, as I usually take my holidays around then.

If considering the Pigsback card do take into account if the 'Rewards' you get for the points are useful to you. At least with the Clubcard points, you have the pick of a large supermarket.

Help,

I notice that my National Irish Credit Card government duty was debited to my account last October. If I cancel now, as I want to change to a Tesco card when will I have to pay the E40 again.

Hi justsally

Just ask National Irish for a letter stating that you have paid the duty and present this to your new credit card company.

Marion

I just received my new tesco credit card today in the post, does any one know when you get the €40 vouchers they advertised you get after you have received the card? I sent a letter from BOI stating my old credit card is closed and the €40 govt. tax has been paid for this year, when will I next get charged for govt. tax?

Hiya Maura,
You won't get the vouchers until your next Clubcard statement.
Next tax will be in your March 2007 statement, methinks.

MS

If you don't go with Tesco - you could try Ulster Bank - 0% on transfers and purchases for 9 months and if you spend over 6000 in a year on it they give you the 40 euro back.

microsquid said:
Hiya Maura,
Next tax will be in your March 2007 statement, methinks.

MS

Yes, but ensure to get a Letter of Closure from your old cc provider confirming that stamp duty was paid on closing the old account and send this to Tesco. You are not automatically exempt from stamp duty, you have to provide Tesco with this letter.

i got it about a year ago and very little hassle (no online facility), as i pay in full each month & we moved into a house i put everthing through on the card to avail of freepoints - so far id say weve received €150 in vouchers - not bad for a little inconvenience!!

Back