Switch to Airbandb

Broadcaster

My friend, who for years rented his house to long term tenants, decided earlier this year when the last tenants moved out, to only rent the house usingAirbandb. I understood he required planning permission to do so but he said that is not being enforced! Then I read in last week's Sunday Times, that there is a huge surge in previous long term rentals now turned into short term on Airbandb and that because of some uncertainty at EU level, the powers that be are turning a blind eye!!!

I'm asking myself now Are we long term rental landlords complete idiots that we continue in the long term market with below market rents when we coould be earning a lot more with short term on .Airbandb. Our tenant's lease is up at the end of the year so perhaps short term is the way to go.

Has anyone else experienced moving from one to the other and would that be a wise move. I do understand all the implications of the time needed to look after such rentals but given the uncertainties that lies ahead for long term rentals - Sinn Fein in power and all that entails- those of us with well below market rents should be actively looking at alternatives.

By the way he rents the 3 bed out for €260 per night and doesn't accept any booking under three nights. He was renting the house long term for €1100 pm. No difficulty finding takers. Amazing!

I went from rent a room for adjoining buliding to Airbnb. A lot of hassle managing queries etc and I was busy at time so I went back to rent a room. Have great tenants now but when they leave I will go back to Airbnb. Staying in Airbnb in Austria last week, guy had big house, turned into three apartments- one for him and wife and two for Airbnb- each apartment is €1400 per week. Summer is biking, swimmimg, hiling and winter is skiing and snowboarding. Its a big part of his income. I'd never be a landlord in Ireland.

Are there other websites? Not just airbnb?
also is there experience of say key handover?
what if you live 30 minutes drive away
Do you need help who lives nearby?
Or do you need to employ someone to do key and cleaning?
Also let's say in Dublin there is an event/football match, does the rate change?

My friend has a key holder on the wall inside the porch and the person renting just needs the code to access it.

My situation i have apartment on 3rd floor so how would that work?
I'd need two keys, one for the building
And one for the apartment door
I could arrange something with local shop maybe?

Short let seems an alternative to RPZ 2% limitation

There are other websites in case there is a clamp down on Airbnb.

I went from rent a room for adjoining buliding to Airbnb. A lot of hassle managing queries etc and I was busy at time so I went back to rent a room. Have great tenants now but when they leave I will go back to Airbnb. Staying in Airbnb in Austria last week, guy had big house, turned into three apartments- one for him and wife and two for Airbnb- each apartment is €1400 per week. Summer is biking, swimmimg, hiling and winter is skiing and snowboarding. Its a big part of his income. I'd never be a landlord in Ireland.
Rent a room... You mean you find tenants per room?
Is that more profitable? Or just you avoid the 2% ?
I guess you can charge slightly more? What if the tenants didn't get on with each other?

There are other websites in case there is a clamp down on Airbnb.
The relevant restrictions are not specific to AirBnB - they're to do with short term rentals generally.
If you rent out your property to visitors for short-term lets, you may need to get planning permission from your local authority, or apply for an exemption. This also applies if you are renting a room in your property for short-term lets. There may also be tax implications if you are renting accommodation to guests on a short-term basis.

The rules around short-term letting are based on regulations introduced in July 2019. The regulations aim to bring properties used for short-term tourist lettings in Rent Pressure Zones (RPZs) back to the long-term rental market. Rent Pressure Zones are areas where rents are highest and rising quickly. These regulations will continue as long as RPZs are in place.

Are there other websites? Not just airbnb?
also is there experience of say key handover?
what if you live 30 minutes drive away
Do you need help who lives nearby?
Or do you need to employ someone to do key and cleaning?
Also let's say in Dublin there is an event/football match, does the rate change?
Yes theres vrbo but thats pretty swanky.
Key handover is through a key safe with code.
I have a lady who cleaned- she got full Airbnb cleaning cost.
Rates change depending on what you or Airbnb say. If you chose price you get less views, if they chose u get a lower rate usually.

I've gone the other way. Airbnb just started to become too much hassle.

Stayers searching for a reason to complain to look for a discount. Leaving the place in poor condition. Not caring about excess electricity use. (Some, not all)

Due to location it was only suited for April to October. It took in 19k this year. I could have probably pushed it to 22k. But after electricity and cleaning costs this was just over 15k/18k

I've just rented it for €1350. Similar gross income and none of the hassle. But it is 120km away and this also played a part in the decision.

Look at the overall picture, not just the money.

Also all of this assumes the EU level dispute between the commission and countries trying to claw back AirBnB and other short lets continues. It won't. Sooner or later some kind of compromise will have to be reached so I wouldn't assume you can assume a lack of enforcement will continue.

Also all of this assumes the EU level dispute between the commission and countries trying to claw back AirBnB and other short lets continues. It won't. Sooner or later some kind of compromise will have to be reached so I wouldn't assume you can assume a lack of enforcement will continue.
I dont think so. No appetite for hotel growth, lots in the business of refugees at €115 a night plus food in a Govt contract (Ballyvaughan for instance). Lots also not able to get staff for regular customers (Housing for staff is the issue). Also cost of living is going to push things down a bit. AirBNb are critical to tourism esp in rural/ Wild Atlantic Way etc - Failte Ireland wont let that fail. Those visitors pay more, stay longer, travel more and consume more cultural tourism products.

I dont think so. No appetite for hotel growth, lots in the business of refugees at €115 a night plus food in a Govt contract (Ballyvaughan for instance). Lots also not able to get staff for regular customers (Housing for staff is the issue). Also cost of living is going to push things down a bit. AirBNb are critical to tourism esp in rural/ Wild Atlantic Way etc - Failte Ireland wont let that fail. Those visitors pay more, stay longer, travel more and consume more cultural tourism products.
There's a fresh European election less than 12 months away, and given the political temperature, expect to see a very different commission to the light touch EPP-dominated one there is now.

There's a fresh European election less than 12 months away, and given the political temperature, expect to see a very different commission to the light touch EPP-dominated one there is now.
What will happen then?

Back