VHI Switch elderly parents from VHI One Plan Access?

toby2111

Both my parents are on VHI One Plan Access,costing them €1784 per year. They are 78 and 79 years old. From what I can gather,its a pretty poor plan, cover wise. My mother has had cancer 3 times,fought it each time and my Dad has knee problems.
Is it worth their while to switch to another provider for better cover?Or, at their age and their pre existing conditions, is it pointless?

toby2111,

I would think it is still worth their while to switch to another provider for better cover despite their age and pre-existing conditions.
They will have to serve a 2 year upgrade waiting time just in respect of their pre-existing conditions. They will have the same cover as before
for these illnesses until the 2 years is complete. After that its full cover on the new plan all the way.

For any new illnesses that arise, they will have full cover on the new plan straight away from day one, no waiting.
I chose Laya plans in the following list of suggestions as there is full cover for hip or knee replacement surgery or cataract surgery in private or
hi-tech hospitals. This surgery is not fully covered with VHI or Irish Life and is a typical surgery required by older people.

[broken link removed]

Essential Health 300 covers all public,private and Beacon hospital + cardiac in 3 hi-tech hospitals. No Blackrock Clinic or Mater Private cover
except cardiac.
All other plans shown cover all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals plus good day to day if required.
There is no waiting to serve for extra day to day cover with Laya, regardless of age.

I wouldn't be inclined to drop health insurance altogether and to stay on their current plan would be pointless.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks snowyb! Very informative as always.

They have a medical card each so GP visits are covered. Plus there's an excess of €150 on both those policies.
Is there anything that comes in under €1800 for both of them per year? They are 932 and 1094 each per year. Thanks again.

Edit - forgot to say, they're under contract until January, can they switch without penalty?

Plans lower than 1800 in price will have a much higher excess amount for private hospital admissions.
Essential Health 300 would be the nearest @ 932. This plan has a max excess per year of 300 x 2 admissions.

The following plans would be lower price wise, but excess amounts are pretty high.
[broken link removed]

As their renewal date is in Jan 2018, there would be penalties if they switch mid year.
There could be more price changes before that date.

Snowyb

Great, thanks very much. I'll check back in December and see if there's other options.
Keep up the good work Snowyb!

Back