Surge propector for t.v etc

S

susan

My electricity dipped in power for about half an hour last Friday night. Lights dimmed and telly went funny and cooker wouldn't turn and clock display was very faint and also flashing.

The power went completely after and was off for about 2 hours.

When it came back on the telly wouldn't work. The standby (red light beside on/off buttton) light wasn't even comiong on. I have sent it to be repaired but they cannot fix it.

It there a Surge Protector or something that I can get for my fuseboard to prevent this happaning again. Are they expensive and could I fit it myself?

You CAN get surge protected adaptors or socket banks to help with this sort of thing to cater for the situation in which the ELCB or trip switch doesn't kick in and switch off the supply. I also noticed in Roches the other day that they are selling little standalone power and phone line surge protectors that plug between the power/phone cable and the target device (e.g. PC/monitor) which look very handy and were priced at around €3 which seemed good value.

computer.howstuffworks.co...tector.htm

OT

0, I know it's off-topic, but I have to say I'm constantly amazed by your knowledge on everything! You never cease to amaze me :)

Re: 0's knowledge

"0, I'm constantly amazed by your knowledge on everything"

Me too. He probably wrote 'How stuff works' but I'm sure just to be pedantic (as usual) he'll come back and correct me on that one ;)

Actually lads I can't answer now because I'm preparing for a pressing appointment this evening but I'll be back among you again on Sunday - if you get my drift... :)

Ah 0 - you seem very cross today?

Back