Surface wiring - dodgy?

Dinky

I viewed a house where there are cables running though holes in the bedroom ceilings and down the walls. Each room has only one double wall socket, so the current owners must have thought this creative wiring was some sort of a solution, but it looks a bit dodgy to me. Any thoughts from our resident experts? And (more importantly!) how much would I be looking at to sort it out?

Thanks!

Sounds dodgy to me. What if say you were moving furniture and knocked the cable a bit loose, then a 3-year old decides to swing out of it - sometime down teh line you'll end up with a problem.

Was there a reason they weren't put into the walls? Also you'd need to check that these new cables aren't allowing you to plug a TV into the same MCB or fuse as the lights for the various rooms. As far as I know, there is a subtle difference between the lighting circuit and the other circuits (e.g. for cooker or sockets around the house). I think the difference is in the earthing or protection, so that it will work, but is less safe than doing it by the book.

Sounds like a bit of rewiring, plastering and painting to be done, but the benefit will be that you decide where you want the new sockets.

PS I'm not an electrician, but I'd advise you to get one to look at it!

I agree with bootdog, chasing and replastering (only the chases!) is the only option here. There is nothing wrong with the surface mounted wiring per se, as long as it is enclosed in pvc or metal conduit to provide mechanical protection. Any electrician could confirm the safety of such an installation and its compliance (or not) with the wiring regulations. It would be worth having an electrician to give you an appraisal of the ex. installation, by examing the consumer board and looking at one or two sockets and light fittings he should be able to determine the age of the installation and whether it is now due for replacement.

Thanks for the replies, Bootdog & Carpenter. I'm going to get someone to have a look at it to see how much it would cost to sort it out. Houses are just one big money pit!

Back