Summons for no TV license

paying for a TV licence to fund RTé does not seem like any kind of a bargain if you ask me.
I was obviously referring to the fact that for c. 20 years he has paid €180 (costs) + €158 (new license) instead of 20 years worth of licenses. :rolleyes:

Status Update; case was on this morning. My student daughter presented herself. Case was called, They estabilished that she was present. The TVLI told the Judge that a licience was purchased in Nov. The Judge asked someone if she was in any trouble before, that person said "no". He applied the probation act. It all happened so fast that Student daughter was left confused by the whole thing. Never got to say a word. She asked a Garda what it ment and he said "your grand, no fine , off with you." So she did just that.
While she waited for her case to be called any "no shows" were being fined €100 plus €36 costs.

I would like to say thanks to all for their comments to this thread.
Martin Slán

An earlier letter said that NTL are required to provide names and addresses to the PO. I've been told that this is not so. A friend's son lives in a house where there are over ten seperate units. Has been there for yonks and has never had a licence, warning from PO or a knock on the door regarding same. NTL supply to all the flats. Only one resident (a PO worker) has a licence. Hmmm!

If you are not legally obliged to give the Inspector a name, then I think an Post have a problem.

Yes they do have a problem. Hence the skullduggery they get up with rifling bins etc. I suspect this is a court case waiting to happen.
Unless the Gardaí attend with the inspector there is absolutely no legal obligation to give them your name.

Even though they can rifle your bin, they still have to catch someone at the address. A guy I know just refuses point blank to give his name, when they call he just says, sorry, I dont live here, am just minding the house and they ask who does, and he says, I dont want to get anyone into trouble, you will have to come back and see the owners yourself.

Even though they can rifle your bin, they still have to catch someone at the address. A guy I know just refuses point blank to give his name, when they call he just says, sorry, I dont live here, am just minding the house and they ask who does, and he says, I dont want to get anyone into trouble, you will have to come back and see the owners yourself.

Some people must get enjoyment from just fiddling the system - I couldn't even begin to start living with the stress of never being able to answer the door for fear that I'm going to get a summons. I don't answer the door anyway, unless I know someones coming, but thats because I'm avoiding door-to-door salesmen.....

Back