Suggestions of getting Pre Sale Drains Inspection

Acorn22

Hi, I'm in the process of purchasing a house. My solicitor made a recommendation (from the outset) that we get the drains looked at. My partner is reluctant to part with have the E450.00. Engineer says he can only lift up shores and have a superficial look and that if we want to get them examined then we need to hire someone. I spoke to a 'drain expert' yesterday. He told me that he only examines drains and doesn't carry out repairs. He said if you get a quote from someone who does both pre sale assessments and can also carry out repairs then you'll find that they will always find a glitch in the drainage system in order to create further work for themselves and that's why i should go with him. I'm feeling confused and worried right now. Should we part with the money or leave it and if something crops up we can sort it out further down the line. I can't help but feel that we may be about to get ripped off or perhaps I'm just being paranoid after the comment of the drain guy?

I'd pay it, in the grand scheme of things it's a minor additional expense. Does your solicitor know something about this house or estate? It's a slightly odd request but could save you money in the long term (or at least give you leverage in negotiating final price).
Using an Engineer with no skin in the game is a good idea.

How old is the house?
Slightly strange that it would come from the solicitor, perhaps they've had a previous client who had a bad experience?
Most surveyors would include this (and many other clauses) in their survey reports.

Personally, I would not bother unless there was an existing cause for concern.

Hi @King - both @dereko @Aikers are offering good advice. Here is the 'black' hat story:

1. Drains could be old (say 1930s) and the joints could be breaking up The pipe might last forever but the joinings could be crumbling,
2. I would have an engineer to check for subsidence as later on you may have insurance hassle
3. A competent from like Dyno-Road will check the drains for you and some of their crews simply
know their stuff and some are very knowledgeable.
The solicitor is checking a load of stuff but I am not sure the drains are at all a part of this.
I would therefore agree less haste and regards this as essential. For even with a house you are not going to have any comeback.

Had the drains ‘surveyed’ recently - fella came and put a hose/camera thingy down all the drains and was able to see everything (we had an issue with rats) he cost roughly €180 so shop around!
Have never heard of anyone doing this pre house purchase but it kinda makes sense!

Most surveyors would include this (and many other clauses) in their survey reports.

I don't believe that they would, it would only be a superficial 'look' that you could do yourself. A professional drain survey would involve quiet a bit more time and equipment.

Absolutely you should get this done. Maybe look for better value as luckystar has said but in the greater scheme of things, it is a small price to pay to find out whether there is a problem or not? Do you:
a) want to 'save' €450 now and go ahead with the purchase risking huge costs, unpleasant smells, major drainage issues in the future or
b) spend the €450 and be happy with your purchase or
c) spend the €450 and pull out of the deal (if there are problems) and be glad you dodged a bullet

There is logic in it.

My parents house is a 1970s semi-d and sewer is shared among groups of 8 houses.
There have been problems with one end of the row and the repair is a shared responsibility.

Naturally those responsible for continually blocking it don't care.
But it did get me thinking about what would happen with a bigger problem.

It is worth enquiring about whether there have been sewer or drain issues.

I don't believe that they would, it would only be a superficial 'look' that you could do yourself. A professional drain survey would involve quiet a bit more time and equipment.
I mean the surveyor would include in their report, the recommendation that you get a separate professional drain survey, not that the surveyor would undertake such a survey as part of their inspection.

My mistake, I misunderstood what you meant. Yes I agree the surveyor should have included some recommendations for a detailed inspection or at least point out that their survey does not include a detailed inspection.

I suppose the engineer has no responsibility after they provide their report. I think the solicitor is giving the OP a very sensible recommendation likely based on some info such as the age of the property or previous experience of similar problems in that area.

Last edited:

Yeah, I've only had a couple of surveys done, but both just lifted covers, flushed toilets and ran taps and just looked to ensure they were draining properly.

Hi thanks for replies.

Update - the engineer informed me that during inspection he could only access 5% of drains/pipes etc. The other 95% is underground. Of that 5% there are weaknesses there. He strongly recommended that we get drain company out.

Subsequent to his inspection he rang the spoke with one of the auctioneers in the firm but not the guy who showed us the property. He expressed his concerns about the bit of the drainage system that he could access (5%). The auctioneer said that this would come as no surprise to the vendor.
After reflecting on this comment I told the drainage team to hold off on the job. I sent an email to the auctioneer requesting if they were aware of the issues with drainage system when we viewed the house as we specifically had asked when viewing if he was aware of any structural issues in the house. He denied knowing anything about the problem and said that this was the first he heard about it (today). Seems very odd as he owns company and is very involved in all aspects of sale. He said vendor had issues with system in 2012 and got a camera assessment done and subsequent work carried out in 2012 however that there are still some glitches in the system but that they haven't given her any issues.

My engineer feels that as she lives alone that these so called 'pinches' may be able to take her light load of washing machine, showering etc but with a family it is likely that the system will be put under pressure and cause us hassle. She is prepared to contribute to/cover any reasonable costs should they arise after we get the drain guy to go do test. I'm a bit reluctant to send the guy out to do drain report until she agrees to pay for any suggested repair work on the report. Am I being unreasonable? We have coughed up a few quid already between solicitor, bank valuation, engineer etc., that I don't want to be cornered with a situation where the auctioneer is looking to share cost of repairs as he knows how much we've spent on assessing house and initiating the purchase of house already that we'll part with another few grand rather than walk away.

What do you think? Hate to think that I'm been played and been walked into a corner. Should I request a copy of her 2012 camera/drain report?

I think you may be cornering yourself. You should not have spent that much money at this stage so you should be very willing to walk away.

Caveat emptor/Buyer beware applies so the onus is on you to satisfy yourself with the structural integrity of the unit. The auctioneer or seller do not have to tell you anything really. I doubt there will be any copy of that 2012 report.

It's very simple, if you really want to buy the house then pay for the new drainage report as soon as possible. If it shows that there is extensive or costly repair work then you either walk away or agree a reduced sale price.

Whatever happens, you should not agree to split the cost of work, that will only get messy. What happens if work starts before sale completes but the deal collapses for some other reason or the work gets even more expensive and you still haven't closed. Or worse, you close the sale at today's price but the seller simply doesn't follow through on a verbal agreement when you start repair work.

BTW the house was built in the mid to late 90s
Just wondering to you go ahead with the drain survey and complete your purchase, we are in the same boat. Sale agreed but would like to get some reassurance about the drain/septic tank system. Also the house we are looking at, has its own well, so may need to look at that before we complete too.
If you've any info on the drain survey or can recommend anyone, I'd be very grateful

Just wondering to you go ahead with the drain survey and complete your purchase, we are in the same boat. Sale agreed but would like to get some reassurance about the drain/septic tank system. Also the house we are looking at, has its own well, so may need to look at that before we complete too.
If you've any info on the drain survey or can recommend anyone, I'd be very grateful

A regular property surveyor will carry out a quick visual inspection of drains as part of a pre-purchase assessment. Most will recommend you engage an engineer to do a fuller inspection so as the cover themselves in the event of an issue that they could not see from just opening a cover.

Beyond that tough, you're looking at a significant enough outlay to carry out detailed inspections of all of the above. A CCTV drain inspection with report will start around €300 and go up from there depending on the size, number of drains. Well testing will add another €200+, if it's a simple septic tank, maybe another couple of hundred, more if it's a treatment system.

Is there a particular reason you feel you should get it done?

The majority of property surveyors will recommend independent examinations of many items such as drainage, heating, electrical system etc, each of which will cost you several hundred euros. These recommendations are included regardless of the apparent condition of the house, as a default by the surveyor.

if you have a particular concern, or the surveyor has explained one to you - then it may be worthwhile. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Back