Suggestions about purchasing a good mattress

Brigid

Hi, I don't know if this is the correct forum and I am sure it will be moved if it isnt... but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about purchasing a good solid mattress that will give good support. There seem to be so many different types out there, we have just begun our hunt for beds and one thing that I want is a good mattress, which will give good support for our backs etc. I'd appreciate any suggestions. we have heard from one shop that King Koil are the best, but is it the type of mattress or the manufacturer that is important. we were also looking at Swan Beds, they are all Irish made which is great, but they may be a bit more expensive.

thank you for any experiences. B.

Hi Brigid, I was in the same situation a few years ago and in the end we went to Clerys on O'Connell St and got talking to a great salesman there - John. He really knew his stuff - after all its what they do all day in the mattress department!We were, of course, thinking that the memory foam mattresses were the way to go but apparently there can be issues if one of you is a cold person and the other warm...the bed warms up differently so one is sweltering under a normal duvet while the other freezes!
Anyway, I don't know what part of the country you're in, but if you're near Dublin, a trip to good old Clery's could be an option

Sealy mattresses are very good and if you can spring for a latex one that would be the way to go imo. They are expensive but will last you years

I got an Ikea mattress, by no means top of their range, for a non-Ikea bed and it was very good. They have a section on their website to help you decide what kind of mattress you need. (I also believe a well known mattress brand make their mattresses, like Whirlpool make their appliances, but under the Ikea brand.)

2 few years later my non-Ikea bed fell apart and I got a bed from Ikea to replace it. I was astonished to discover that because the Ikea bed had slightly bowed, springy slats the mattress (the same one I'd been sleeping on for 2 years) was significantly more comfortable. (Different Ikea beds have different slats, the one I got was a Lillesand)

Their beds are excellent value, btw, and well worth considering. Their guide to choosing a mattress is here.

I agree with dubgem - we got an Ikea mattress last year and it really is one of the most comfortable I've had. Reasonably priced at around €200 or €250 ish.

I agree with dubgem - we got an Ikea mattress last year and it really is one of the most comfortable I've had. Reasonably priced at around €200 or €250 ish.

What was the name of the one you got for that price?

I got one that I saw recommended on rte or somewhere, a Visco Bonnell 700. I have never had any issues sleeping on it BUT I lay on my husbands side recently and there is a noticeable dip on his side. Its only 3 years old so it should not be dipping on one side. He says it is comfortable but when he tries out my side he thinks it feels higher. None of this is visible to the eye.

I didnt know Ikea did good mattresses. I was going to go for a King Koil next time as I had the best nights sleep Ive ever had in a hotel in Clare and the mattress was a King Koil Club I think but they are so expensive.

dubgem - the link for the Ikea mattress guide isnt working.

I would suggest getting a medium range mattress such as the IKEA one. I like to change my mattress every 3 or 4 years just from a hygiene point of view.

Slept in a bed at the Monart Hotel a few months back and had to take the linen off the bed to check out the mattress as it was sooo comfortable.

It was a King Coil Pillow Top Matress - not the cheapest, but loads of support and incredibly comfortable. King Koil are quite expensive but the Kaymed brand are made by the same company.

Watch out for the memory foam mattresses, my brother got one and had to change it as he was too hot in the bed and couldn't sleep.

Just checked, and it is working but you need to give the graphics a few minutes to load. Try it again (here).

Thats bizarre, Ive tried it in a few different browsers now and it still doesnt work, Im getting a page not found error - within Ikeas website - are you sure you are not looking at a cached version? Its annoying me because I want to look at the mattresses!

Thank you all very much for all the info. First time I have had to apply my mind to this and it is a minefield. that is very interesting about the slats that spring upwards, I was wondering what their benefit was! thanks also for the suggestion about the memory foam mattress.

Thats bizarre, Ive tried it in a few different browsers now and it still doesnt work, Im getting a page not found error - within Ikeas website - are you sure you are not looking at a cached version? Its annoying me because I want to look at the mattresses!

Sorry, they seem to have updated the website and that page doesn't exist anymore! However I'm sure it'll be back, it was really useful. Sorry :(

Another thing to remember is to regularly rotate a mattress. This ensures even wear and will extend its life.

Just saw this post from 2012. We never ended up getting a good mattress at that stage, and ended up with a number of second hand beds and mattresses just to get us into the new house! So nearly 8 years later, (with a permanently aching back) it's time to revisit it. I'm wondering if the advice regarding IKEA still holds? Was looking at mattresses in Cork and any decent 6 foot ones seem to be in excess of €1200. As ever thank you for any guidance.

Back