subletting question

S

striker07

Hi, Hopefully someone will be able to help me here.
I bought a house with a friend couple of years ago and now am considering moving out but my friend wants to remain on in the house.
If I rent out my room am I entitled to put all the rent towards my share of the mortgage or would it be split 50/50 between both of us?
I would have thought it was the former but another friend says she thinks its the latter. Seems strange to me if it is that we both pay same amount and I don't even live there.
If anyone could point me in the direction of any sites on the net where this is laid down in legal terms I'd be grateful. Just want to consider my options at the moment and work out the financial implications.
Thanks in advance

bought a house with a friend couple of years ago and now am considering moving out but my friend wants to remain on in the house.

If you bought within the last 5 years then you will be liable to stamp duty clawback at the difference between the investors rate and the rate you paid that applied on the day you bought the house. Not sure if you friend is also liable.

If I rent out my room am I entitled to put all the rent towards my share of the mortgage
You need to discuss this with your friend

You should also be aware that as you are getting rental of the property you have to advise revenue. See [broken link removed]

Back