Struggling... should I leave my job?

Ever think of doing a course in collage part time??

I did but with what money exactly I'm not being smart but its tight extremely tight? My budget is basically around 14-16 a day just in case I need to go to the doctor, etc.

What I'm actually working am I doing a dead end job with no worth... I wouldnt rule out working for myself... Would you work for nothing yourself not being smart but its actually hard to feed yourself healthily on the amount I take home... I'm thinking of working on the side (legally) to supplement my income..

Actually if you read my initial post, you would see that I had been in a similar position, but I also I had childcare expenses on top of what your were paying. I spent the last year upskilling and now I plan to work for myself next year.

To be honest i don't think you will get a mortgage based on your earnings. The best thing you could do is try looking for a better paying job, it's easier to get a job when you already have one.

As we spend approx a third of the day in a work situation you might as well do it somewhere where it's worth your while financially and where you will be happy.

To be honest shocked about the mortgage comment would I still not get 5 times my salary or whatever multiple it is for example... Having a 'secure' state job... If I'm just throwing my money away on rent in that case really whats the point at all? Would I not get a small mortgage not that theres any rush given the economic situation in general..

The point of it all is that you are providing for yourself rather than expecting tax payers to fund you. Every citizen has a responsability to provide for themselves if they are able to. Social welfare is meant to be a safety net for times when this is not possible either through illness or losing a job. it is not meant to be a long term thing. There are many people out there who work at jobs they hate and dread going into work but they do so to keep food on the table. You don't seem to dislike your job or at least make no reference to that so what I am taking is that you think that you would be better off on the dole!

My budget I give myself is less than €20 a day a few quid less than that I'd hope...

My budget is basically around 14-16 a day just in case I need to go to the doctor, etc.

20 a day is 140 a week. 15 a day is 105 a week. That's not a small amount - that's really quite a lot, IMO. With a bit of luck you're not so depressed that you wouldn't be able to think of doing some of the following (and if you are that depressed please go and get some help for that!)

In no particular order:
  • Challenge yourself to live on half that amount per day at the very most
  • Spend time reading through the archives here, reading personal finance blogs and any books you can get your hands on in your local library
  • Set up a budget and then stick to it. Make it your mission to constantly tweak your budget until you are happy with the amount you are saving.
  • If you can't already, learn to cook! I don't live in Dublin anymore but I don't remember spending anything like that amount on food except when I didn't prepare my own (paying five or six euro for a sandwich every day will kill any budget). And I used to shop at the farmers markets and buy a lot of organic stuff, which isn't exactly cheap.
  • Try and let your work be just your eight hours a day so that you can, more importantly, try and find some enthusiasm for what you do with the other hours of the day. Like maybe making it your mission to find out about budgeting and how to make the money you do have work instead of longing to have more. (Bonus: if you're at all nosey, reading personal finance blogs is great - just to see what other people are going through and feeling glad that you don't have some of that to deal with. Not that I'm admitting to being nosey or anything :))
  • Start a mortgage fund now. Even if it's just a piggy bank that you put one euro a day into. And spend some time asking yourself whether or not you really do want to own your own place (it's very hard to get over the default Irish position of must-own-land)
  • Try not to look at friends living on unemployment and seeming to have a great time. Bear in mind that there are very few chances of any social welfare support increasing in the near future and, presumably, good chances of it being cut again.
  • What colour is your parachute? is a book I've heard recommended often when you're at a point where you don't really know what to do with your life. Might be worth trying to get your hands on a copy and giving it a go.
  • If you're worried about potential health bills, consider joining the HSF. I used to be a member of it when it was HSA (and I was still living in Ireland) and it saved me plenty of money on doctors bills, glasses etc.

Not being smart but I think the days of getting 5 times one's salary towards a mortgage are long gone.

You have what you call a "Secure" State job albeit with low pay, you are young and single so is it a problem to get yourself a part time job at the weekends in order to supplement your income??

Youre definitely being smart now haha Work the weekends I'm in my mid thirties not my late teens so you have to be messing about... I mean you have to make the most of your life all work and no play would make life very boring...

Hi- since you posted this query to Money Makeover, I think that's a good place to start. If you can get an accurate picture of where your money goes each month you may be able to see where you can make savings. I know a few people renting around Dublin who share and pay less than 500 a month so that might be a place to start.

There are courses and night classes available to people on limited incomes where a payment plan can be worked out. For particular colleges you also are entitled to a refund of some of the fees paid with Revenue. I would strongly investigate this option because if your ultimate goal is to own a house then you need to begin increasing your income or at least your potential for a better income. I would also do more research about what banks are lending. I rang up a few last year who gave me clear guidelines for what they are looking for when lending - that will help guide you.

At the end of all this, you are the only one who can guide your future.

Youre definitely being smart now haha Work the weekends I'm in my mid thirties not my late teens so you have to be messing about... I mean you have to make the most of your life all work and no play would make life very boring...

Are you sure you're 36? Your whole attitude is very childish. You have a permanent job that many people would love to have and your posting here is basically to see how much you would get on the dole should you decide to just give up your job.

You don't seem to have any interest in applying for other jobs

You don't seem to have any interest in seeking promotion

You don't seem to have any interest in earning more money through getting a part-time job

All you seem to want is for someone to give you the dole and pay for your rent without any time limit.

The only way of improving your situation is by hard work, not expecting others to pay for what seems like a lifestyle choice.

My daughter is living in London on similar wages and paying rent of £650pm before food. She is 28 but is willing to work hard and in a career she likes. She has to save for flights home too which eats into her money

There is too much of "poor me" in this story, you seem hard done by and have given up the ghost.

Take a closer look at what you have got, are there promotion prospects? Someone sugested a course to upskill, well get a bank loan.

You are in a better position than some people so look at the positives and stop focusing on the negatives

I did but with what money exactly I'm not being smart but its tight extremely tight? My budget is basically around 14-16 a day just in case I need to go to the doctor, etc.

One of the benefits of working in the PS is access to funding for courses and training relevant to your job, or even jobs you would like to do in the sector. It's rare to get all the fees paid for, but even if you got 50% and claimed relief on the portion you pay it would be very doable on your salary.

Hi queenlex,

I've been in jobs before which I hated, and in this position all I could focus on was my pay. (I hated spending any of my money at all because I had suffered so much for each euro that I earned!) I then left that job for a job which doesn't pay as well, but I'm much happier now. I hardly think about what I'm earning at all now - I've enough to pay the bills and put a little aside and I don't have expensive tastes. The biggest difference is that I enjoy my job and don't dread going to work.

I suppose what your posts have made me wonder is, could it be that the biggest problem is that you dislike the job? I'm not sure what type of "state" employment you are in, but if it is the civil service it might be possible to transfer. Are you in the CSPU (The Civil Public and Services Union)? If so, it might be worth contacting them to ask about "Head-to-Head" transfers. To the best of my knowledge these can still happen in the Civil Service between two staff of the same grade. I would say that it is much easier to get another job while you have a job, so if you want to work I would stay in your current job while you look for a new job.

A previous poster mentioned about training also, again it depends on what part of the "State" employs you, but have you looked in to any support/funding that might be available for further training?

Best of luck with it all

One of the benefits of working in the PS is access to funding for courses and training relevant to your job, or even jobs you would like to do in the sector. It's rare to get all the fees paid for, but even if you got 50% and claimed relief on the portion you pay it would be very doable on your salary.

It's rare, these days, to get any % towards fees...

Back