Strange name on my credit union account

Lizard

Hey just wondering if I have reason to worry about this or not. I discovered recently that there was a name added as a spouse/partner to my credit union account. I'm single. The name was an unrecognisable foreign name. When I pointed out to the person in the CU that I wasnt even married and hadn't got a clue who the person named as my husband was, s/he deleted the name immediately. I have been with the CU for nearly 20 years, and it has an impeccable record. So I'm a little concerned. In fact I'm alot concerned! Hardly a clerical error? And why would a name be added to my account without cross-referencing with me first? Has this happened to anyone else?

I would pose this question to the CU Manager if I were you (in the sternest possible terms).

I would pose this question to the CU Manager if I were you (in the sternest possible terms).

+1.

Do not delay. Ask them to explain how this error occurred and, if necessary, get a statement of your account and make sure there are no anomalies in your account. Slim

Defintely agree. It may well be a clerical error but even if it is, it ought to be investigated properly. I would immediately request a statement and make sure nothing is amiss. It would also seem to me that if it is a clerical error the other party would also be affected and simply deleting their name from your account without investigation is disservice to them also!

Thank you all for replying. It never occurred to me that the other party would also be affected. Hmmm. I just assumed it was some sort of scam. I did report to the Gardaí. They told me unless there was criminal activity involved there wasnt much they could do about it. That was over a month ago.

Lizard,

If I were you I would bring the matter to the attention of the Board Of Supervisors of the Credit Union, and ask them to look into it. Even if it's not a scam, it appears that some internal "procedures" are suspect to say the least. They can bring the matter to the Board of the C.U. and get them to tighten up.

D

Back