Strange chemical-like smell

P

paintbrush

Hi. I've been redecorating the spare room. I've been taking my time as there's no rush on it. So far I've stripped wallpaper, used a primer on the walls and applied standard white emulsion paint on ceilings and walls. I've also had new electrical sockets put in.
In the last few days, a very noticeable smell has developed in the room. I cant identify the source of the smell although I'm pretty sure it is not decay, burning, damp or a blocked sewer. The smell is not concentrated in any one specific part of the room. The best way I can describe it is that it is kind of chemical in nature and hasn't diminished over time. There is a sink in the room but there's no evidence of the drain being backed up.
Trying to trace back any possible sources, I wonder if the primer applied to the walls could be the source? POLYCELL MULTI BOND (advanced PVA formula) was used, mixed in the recommended ratio. This is the only room in the house with the smell. It's also the only room in the house this primer was used, although it is a year or more since any other decorating was done in the house.
Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of the problem? Could the MultiBond primer have reacted with the emulsion paint? The smell is such that the room could not be used in any comfort so doing any further work (or inviting guests) has been put on hold until the situation is sorted.
I would be grateful for any suggestions at all. Thank you.

You didn't manage to spill any white spirits in there did you? That stuff stinks when let loose in a room.

It could be the plastic bit hanging from the ceiling into which the light bulb is screwed - happened to me in two rooms before - the plastic thing went kind of brittle looking and one of them went slightly discoloured - stank like rotten fish bizarrely enough.

Changing the plastic thing solves the problem.

Sherman said:
It could be the plastic bit hanging from the ceiling into which the light bulb is screwed - happened to me in two rooms before - the plastic thing went kind of brittle looking and one of them went slightly discoloured - stank like rotten fish bizarrely enough.

Changing the plastic thing solves the problem.

Indeed this is possible if the light pendant is older than mosses then try changing it, it's safer to replace these if they are worn anyway.
Make sure and do this with safety in mind!
Good Luck ;)

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
Dobber, you made me think hard but I'm sure now I didn't use any white spirit in the room so I can cross that off the list. Wouldn't that smell gradually fade anyway?
Sherman, interesting thing about the light pendant. The old one was replaced by a brand new one. I will have a look at that as a possible cause. I never mess with electrical fittings so I'll wait until I get someone who knows what they're doing.
It also occurred to me that new insulation was fitted in the attic directly above this room. That was fitted months ago before the odour appeared but it is definitely another angle worth investigating.
Thank you both. If anyone else has other suggestions, I'dlove to hear them.

We've had that problem with the light fittings a few times and an electrician told me that its because fish gut is used in the unit. When they get hot the smell gets worse - disgusting!. You may have bought a faulty one.

We have a very similar problem at the moment.

We decorated one room with paint and it has been stinking since. We thought it was the light fitting but now don't think so. We think the paint was probably gone off as we really can't think of anything else.

I've been advised to sugar soap the walls down and then repaint.

Hope it works, the room smells like cats pee!!

Yuch

Hi phoenix. I'm sorry for your problem but I'm also relived that someone else has encountered something similar!
I had all the electrical fittings checked today but found no problem.
I had no idea that paint could go off! Would that happen to an unopened container or one which had been opened previously?
We've come to the conclusion that the problem must be coming from the walls somehow, whether it is the primer, the paint going off or a combination of the too.
Phoenix, if you try the sugar soap soon, I'd be very interested to know if it improves the situation.

Back