Storm damage

C

Champ

We here in North Dublin have been hit this afternoon by a freak storm which has resulted in a huge roof tile landing on my car in the driveway and resulting in extensive damage.
CAn anyone tell me if I can claim on my house insurance for this damage to the car or is should this come from the car insurer?
Any advice appreciated.

Probably best to check the terms & conditions of your home and car insurance policy documents to see if such an accident is covered and what the knock on effects (e.g. on no claims bonuses or future premiums) of claiming on each might be.

A friend had a similar problem some years ago. Car parked outside her house damaged by slate. Car owner got price for repair and my friend sent it to her insurance with claim form. House insurance paid for damage to car. She said that since the damage was below € 4 K it did not affect house premium. I would avoid claiming through car insurance if I could but that only my opinion, I hope it works out ok for you.

This happened to a relation of mine . The house was insured by the same company as the car .The insurance company tried to push the claim through the car insurance by quoting an act of god . It ended up being settled on the way to court
Do not accept this on your car insurance and contact a solicitor if the same happens to you.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. You might be looking for a roof repairer and I saw this to-day - 2nd guy sounds good.

Best ofluck with your repairs.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I tried to get through today to our house ins. company but forgot it was a Bank Holiday - nobody to take emergency calls anyway. I'll let you know how I get on - could be a lesson for others in this too.

Someone posted a great tip a while back....

If the house insurance comp. tells you to contact the car insurance comp and vice versa. Get both of them on conference call and let them sort it out (while you listen)!!

"If the house insurance comp. tells you to contact the car insurance comp and vice versa."

If its the one company for both will they just talk and haggle with themselves - Irish style :lol

Happened to a friend of mine too. a neighbours slate damaged his car but his own house insurance was the ones who ponied up. something about the car being on his property at the time. ( neighbours insurer might have been the same anyway as there is only really about 4 insurers in the market) definitely not car insurance in his case.

Hi All,

Just to update you on the outcome of this mess.

House insurance (Sun and Royal Alliance) say they will not cover the cost of car repairs and gave me a right runaround even when I wanted to know how I stood with the repairs to the roof!! They insist that the car is a separate entity and is definetly not covered by any house ins. policy. When I asked if my neighbour's car had been damage rather than mine, I was told they would cover this as then we are talking about liability insurance.
I tried very hard to get them to accept responsiblity but only met with a brick wall.
When I asked about the damage to my roof I was asked to get the roofer to take photos of the damage for them as proof!!! Needless to say I told them where to go. Can you image asking the roofer to stand up there , and take a few photos for the ins. company. At this stage the roofer was already trying to do a temporary job while my son had to hold the latter (windy day). I invited the company to come straight out to my home with their own camera and take all the photos they like. Needless to say that was turned down.
Today, I received a call from the Assessors for the company to say they will visit on Friday. I haven't even lodged a claim. I only rang to ask about coverage. Now all this to cover a few roof tiles.

I then contacted the car insurance (Hibernian) and they tell me if I make a claim I will lose 30% of my no claims bonus. I protested as loudly as I could but to no avail.
What is the point of insurance if you are penalised for something who had no hand, act or part in. Something should be done about this rip off merchants. If I had choice I would take my business to foreign shores. Roll on the competition.
Finally, would there be any point in bringing this to the attention of the Insurance Ombudsman? I am absolutely raging over all this.

I would definitely inform your house insurers that you were going to write to the insurance ombudsman about this. spoke to my friend again and it was definitely a neighbours slate that damaged his car and definitely his own house insurance who paid for the repairs.

Back