Stockbroker can't buy the ETF I want

laila

I asked stockbroker to buy a db-extracker ETF for be on the german stock exchange. They say they can't do it as not registered for that exchange - that it is too expensive. They did not offer an alternative suggestion. I spent some time choosing these funds don't really understand why the stockbroker can't just purchase them. Have my Crest account set up so don't want to move to another stockbroker at this stage has anyone any suggestions?

Can they not buy them on the LSE?
The db x-trackers ETFs are listed on multiple stock exchanges across Europe – Euronext Paris, Borsa Italiana, Frankfurt Xetra, London Stock Exchange and SWX Swiss Exchange l and supported by a number of market makers providing liquidity in the ETFs.

Can they not buy them on the LSE?

I had a quick look at the site and the factsheets for the different ETFs.

Each ETF is potentially listed in a different market - ie the DAX tracking ETFs are listed on Xetra and the Swiss exchange while the FTSE tracking ETF is listed on the FTSE. OP would need to check the exchanges the specifc ETF he wants is listed on, and give the Sedol or ISIN to the broker.

However, I am not sure that these ETFs settle via CREST so the issue of a CREST account may be mute. Also, I can understand why a broker may not wish to go through the regulatory and annual costs of registering on a particular exchange if the volume of potential business doesn't justify it.

The other options are to go to another local broker to see if they can trade on the particular exchange, or failing that go to a UK or a local German broker.

Each ETF is potentially listed in a different market - ie the DAX tracking ETFs are listed on Xetra and the Swiss exchange while the FTSE tracking ETF is listed on the FTSE. OP would need to check the exchanges the specifc ETF he wants is listed on, and give the Sedol or ISIN to the broker.

However, I am not sure that these ETFs settle via CREST so the issue of a CREST account may be mute. Also, I can understand why a broker may not wish to go through the regulatory and annual costs of registering on a particular exchange if the volume of potential business doesn't justify it.

This is not accurate, many ETF's have multiple exchange listings. Db-extracker emerging markets is listed in London and Germany for example. London is by far the most popular for ETF listings, with Germany second. No reason that a particular ETF has to be listed on the country's exchange of the index its tracking.

This is not accurate, many ETF's have multiple exchange listings. Db-extracker emerging markets is listed in London and Germany for example.

Huh?...That's what I said...: "Each ETF is potentially listed in a different market - ie the DAX tracking ETFs are listed on Xetra and the Swiss exchange....." :confused:

No reason that a particular ETF has to be listed on the country's exchange of the index its tracking.

I never said it did.

Back