Staycation Tax Break scheme

odyssey06

Starting a thread for the 'staycation' tax break to be filled in as more details available.

Covers 'hotels' and food bills in restaurants\pubs etc but not drinks.
Kicks in from September until... next Spring?
Is it only 'hotels' or would B&Bs, holiday homes be covered also?
What about someone holding a wedding in a hotel, would room costs be covered or catering?

What % of the cost is available as a tax rebate? Based on VAT?
What if you don't pay tax i.e. retired folks.

Questions questions...

Mods - please move to main AAM forum if you think it is more suitable there given its Tax aspect.

Last edited:
Would seem unfair if B&B are not eligible especially as they may be better value for people. I understand that hotel may support more jobs but the optics would make it seem like it was just to support big business hotel groups.

Although I imagine a lot of families are renting holiday cottages etc. The line gets blurred here, some would be booked through hotel, while others might be on their own website or even Airbnb.

Can't imagine someone who doesn't pay tax could be entitled to a refund.

I like the idea of giving the break directly to the customer and the hotel etc not being able to control it. Otherwise it's just included in cost.

Some more details in the Independent:
* Runs September - April
* Still only mentions hotels and restaurants - though I would think anyone on the VAT hospitality rate would qualify?
* Hotels, food and non alcoholic drinks
* Maximum claim €625 per person
* 20% relief
* e.g. a couple could get €250 back if they spend the max sum each

It will be triggered via a Revenue app, (per LV on Prime Time)just like, one does with VHI/Laya medical cost receipts. I assume once receipts are approved, a tax credit increase is actioned, and it flows to the individual via reduced PAYE on payroll

It will be triggered via a Revenue app, (per LV on Prime Time)just like, one does with VHI/Laya medical cost receipts. I assume once receipts are approved, a tax credit increase is actioned, and it flows to the individual via reduced PAYE on payroll

Actually I think I usually get the medical receipts refund as a direct bank transfer, I think you are right about the mechanism though.

Another further question - the dates span two tax years.
Will we be able to claim the max amount in both years?

Thats a very good question, i wouldn’t think relief will be given, twice, over the 2 tax years, i would assume its a rolling total, as a one off relief, and once total is reached it will cease. The Revenue app will control this so, i would think its a “onetime” relief, but will need to wait for final operational details over next month or so.

While it's branded as a staycation tax break it sounds like this could be used as a 20% rebate on eating out for 8 months. It works out as 78euro a month per person. While this is more than I spend it might not be too far off the spending of others especially those with children.

It looks like, the credit will only be given, after the end of the tax year, so if one spends the max in 2020, the €125 max refund, will be given early in 2021, as a balancing item from the 2020 tax year

Is this tax relief from October to April?

Can you include receipts for July and August for short stays or should it be a 1 week holiday for example in Ireland.

Is this tax relief from October to April?

Can you include receipts for July and August for short stays or should it be a 1 week holiday for example in Ireland.

October to April.

Haven't heard anything about duration of stay, as long as it is Failte Ireland registered.

October to April.

Haven't heard anything about duration of stay, as long as it is Failte Ireland registered.
No, there is not any duration of stay, and don’t forget, you don’t have to stay over somewhere, to avail of the relief, the majority of people are going to avail of this by just going out for a meal- at a restaurant which has registered for the scheme of course. Some restaurants may decide - not to participate, or, may not have a tax clearance certificate

New Revenue app, should be launched in the coming weeks, which will allow easy upload of receipts, i would imagine it will work like the Health Insurance apps, (VHI & Laya etc)where you logon to the app, and upload photos of your receipts

How does it work if you do not pay tax? will they credit you4 with a refund?

How does it work if you do not pay tax? will they credit you4 with a refund?
No, if you don’t pay any taxes, this is not applicable to you. This is a reduction on what state taxes you pay, so it excludes those not paying any, not saying its right or wrong, but them is the rules of the scheme.

Can you only search one county or Dublin postcode at a time?
So, it appears. I suppose, as there could be potentially, thousands of establishments registering, in the county of Dublin, it could be a bit awkward to find anything, if you had to scroll through hundreads of pages.
At least there is sector and sub category, to narrow your search.

This operational rule, could cause logistical issues for establishments, i’m thinking of medium sized groups, all getting, individual bills.

“The itemised breakdown should enable the qualifying and non-qualifying expenditure to be clearly identified.
Where a bill is split between two or more customers, each customer should receive an individual receipt. This receipt should show the share of expenditure incurred by each customer.“

Non qualifying expenditure, would be alcoholic beverages for example

Back