State pension

BillK

This time next month my state pension kicks in as I reach the age of 65.

It amounts to £89 odd per week ( I live in England). Other than that, any prescriptions I get are free, and have been since I was 60 as are eye tests.

How does this compare with state pensions and benefits in Ireland for people of my age?

Free travel on all state public transport. Free medical care over aged 70. Free television licence, and help with telephone, electricity/gas charges.

I recall from working with elderly Irish emigrants in London that the benefits for retired people here in ireland was more generous than those in the UK, but that may have changed now.

Remember too that the state pension here is at age 66. To qualify at 65 for a Retirement Pension, you would have to have worked here. The pension hit €200 after the last budget so with conversion, it would seem the Irish pension is more generous.

I must say that I had already assumed, sueellen, that you were a long way off pension age; to learn that there is another "long" in there is quite depressing!

My question was from interest only as we have an 18 month old grandson living inthe south of England and it would take more that wild horses to drag my wife away from him.

Thanks to all for taking the time to provide so much info.

BillK

Back