Starting ebay business - wholesalers

richieg

I am considering starting a small ebay business to supplement income. I have sold some things on it before but was thinking of starting fresh and possibly building to ebay shop. The areas i'm considering are clothing, DVDs etc. or consumor electronics.
What I am wondering is how would you go about finding wholesalers for these type of things. I searched ebay and got a few items offering a subscription to a wholesaler website for a fee. I'm not sure how reliable these are. Anyone have experience?
If I import items like these from the US or outside EU do I pay much in import tax/VAT if I am not registered as a business just yet but plan to sell on?
Given the price of property/insurance in this country this might be a cheaper way of doing business rather than a bricks and mortor store.

Any other watchouts/things I should know

Alibaba.com might be of some use to you, it connects chinese manufactuers of all sorts of goods with retailers large and small in the EU & USA.

This months Business Plus cover story is about building a business on eBay... it might provide you with inspiration!

Good luck

It was Business Plus magazine that got me thinking alright.
Had a look at alibaba, not sure about going with some of these. How would I go about finding out if they are legit or not as I ahve read some awful horror stories

If you put the word 'China' into the 'search this forum' box, you'll get lots of previous threads not only on China, but generally on trading on ebay and importing, VAT etc.

Hi Richie,

There are a lot of e-Bay books out there that explain all about sourcing goods, drop shipping, etc.

Take a look at How to Buy, Sell, and Profit on eBay: Kick-Start Your Home-Based Business in Just Thirty Days by Adam Ginsberg. It's a very easy read (even if he is a little too positive about e-Bay !).

I did some investigations into setting up an e-Bay business recently, but have yet to get it really started. Best of luck dealing with the Irish Postal service !

richieg said:
The areas i'm considering are clothing, DVDs etc. or consumor electronics.

There are a lot of people selling these types of things on ebay. I believe to be succesful / turn a profit you need to pick a niche, the more obscure the better!

Also don't forget that you can sell things on Amazon as well.

Best of luck with the venture.

Cheers
Fintan

I have hundreds of books I would love to get rid of, So how do I go about getting UK invoice address and UK bank account number?

Is it possible to use a friends address in the North of Ireland?

Back