Starting construction prior to planning permission.

Winklefairy

Hi all, first post here - hoping you can help with my query:

We are planning a 2 storey extension on a semi-d we're just about to sign contracts on. We'll be applying for planning permission as the 1st floor extension does not fit in to the exempted development guidelines (It will not be 2m from the boundary on one side, but 1m.). Our architects are fairly confident that we'll have no problem getting permission, as there is precedent in our row of houses and the extension will not overshadow the neighbours. Apart from this the extension would qualify for exempted development.

My question is, would it be possible to begin construction before receiving planning permission? Or perhaps beginning once permission has been granted but before the 4 week period for objections is through? (We will have discussed plans with the neighbours well in advance of this. They already know we're planning to extend and ours is the only house in the row that isn't yet extended).

If we didn't need planning permission for that extra 1m width of the 1st floor extension we would be able to start construction at any time. If we were willing to accept the risk of digging foundations for a 2 storey extension only to be denied permission for the 1st floor part of the extension (which is very unlikely) could we start construction before planning permission allowed? Or is this strictly forbidden?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

If it were me, I would quite happily start digging and pouring foundations. There is no requirement for planning permission to dig holes in your back garden. I would not start building above ground level thought.
You do have to accept that in the unlikely event that permission is denied, you have wasted your money on unnecessary foundations.

The only worry I would have is the possibility that you alienate your new neighbors who might think you're being a bit bolshy by starting work before planning is granted.

On saying that, you haven't even signed contracts on the house yet, and construction is still stalled due to covid. So you are a bit away from applying for planning permission yet, never mind getting quotes/a builder etc.

We have a pretty straight forward application in and I wanted to push forward by getting our architect and builders together. Our architect said no, not until planning is in, you just don't know what can happen. Same applies to ordering the kitchen, floors etc which we have decided upon but obviously the measurements 'could' change. He was right as they have come back looking for revised info, whilst they haven't refused it we have to make changes that has a knock on effect to my kitchen as I now lose a unit and therefore that changes the doors I was going to put in etc etc

Do nothing.

Hi all, first post here - hoping you can help with my query:

We are planning a 2 storey extension on a semi-d we're just about to sign contracts on. We'll be applying for planning permission as the 1st floor extension does not fit in to the exempted development guidelines (It will not be 2m from the boundary on one side, but 1m.). Our architects are fairly confident that we'll have no problem getting permission, as there is precedent in our row of houses and the extension will not overshadow the neighbours. Apart from this the extension would qualify for exempted development.

My question is, would it be possible to begin construction before receiving planning permission? Or perhaps beginning once permission has been granted but before the 4 week period for objections is through? (We will have discussed plans with the neighbours well in advance of this. They already know we're planning to extend and ours is the only house in the row that isn't yet extended).

If we didn't need planning permission for that extra 1m width of the 1st floor extension we would be able to start construction at any time. If we were willing to accept the risk of digging foundations for a 2 storey extension only to be denied permission for the 1st floor part of the extension (which is very unlikely) could we start construction before planning permission allowed? Or is this strictly forbidden?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!
Wait for the final grant. You can’t lodge a commencement notice without it.

If it were me, I would quite happily start digging and pouring foundations. There is no requirement for planning permission to dig holes in your back garden. I would not start building above ground level thought.
You do have to accept that in the unlikely event that permission is denied, you have wasted your money on unnecessary foundations.

The only worry I would have is the possibility that you alienate your new neighbors who might think you're being a bit bolshy by starting work before planning is granted.

On saying that, you haven't even signed contracts on the house yet, and construction is still stalled due to covid. So you are a bit away from applying for planning permission yet, never mind getting quotes/a builder etc.
You are incorrect. Planning is required for any holes/change in level of 1m.
Also, digging for foundations brings on the requirement for Part A of the building regulations. If you’ve already done this then you cannot lodge a commencement notice once the final grant comes through.
There is no retrospective way of obtaining a commencement notice after the fact.

Reactions: Leo
There's a lot to do after getting planning permission. You have to get the engineer report to make sure the building doesn't fall down, Part L regulations for BER, put it out to tender and then agree contracts with the builder.

And given how busy builders are these days, good luck finding one that will start building on an extension with no planning permission. It wouldn't be worth their while when there's massive demand on them to start on properties that have everything lined up.

Back