Stamp Duty

xserty

Dear All,
I wonder if you could help me. I bought a house three years (May 2004) ago and I'd like to check how much Stamp Duty I paid. Is there any office in Dublin that I could go in and ask?
Kind regards,
Xserty

"Is there any office in Dublin that I could go in and ask?"

Revenue (Stamps Section) in Dublin Castle.

But why not do any of the following:

1. Check your records - did you keep any details?
2. Any letter from your solicitor detailing the amount?
3.Go online and check out Form SD10A - Revenue guide to Stamp Duty which shows stamp duty rates.

mf

"Is there any office in Dublin that I could go in and ask?"

Revenue (Stamps Section) in Dublin Castle.

Thank you, will check that out.

But why not do any of the following:

1. Check your records - did you keep any details?
2. Any letter from your solicitor detailing the amount?
3.Go online and check out Form SD10A - Revenue guide to Stamp Duty which shows stamp duty rates.

mf

My records show that I paid 5%, but my situation was a bit unclear at the time re whether I was first time buyer or not... so my solicitor asked for 5% and he would investigate if I was only due 3% (first time buyer rate at the time).
We never talked about this afterwards, so I'm trying to understand only now what was the case.
Again, thanks for you help!
Regards, Xserty

Why? Usually it's straightforward.

Well, to make a long story short... I own a property in conjunction with my sister, that has been given to us by our parents (not inherited, they're still alive luckely :) )

Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Xserty

[... snip snip...]

mf

That document clearly states that I was a FTB!
So there was no point in me paying 5% as opposed to 3%!
Thanks
Xserty

I'm not so sure. Sounds to me like that makes you a non FTB - if the property was inherited then you would probably have been a FTB. I am surprised that your solicitor doesn't seem to have been able to tell you for sure one way or another at the time.

Well, why not just go back to the solicitor and ask them if they made a mistake? If they did, it can be fixed by applying to Revenue for a refund - its a dreadful faff but probably worth it. They should do this free of charge if they made the mistake and assuming that you did not keep anything from them.

Clients are not perfect either, you know!

mf

Well, why not just go back to the solicitor and ask them if they made a mistake? If they did, it can be fixed by applying to Revenue for a refund - its a dreadful faff but probably worth it. They should do this free of charge if they made the mistake and assuming that you did not keep anything from them.

Clients are not perfect either, you know!

mf

That's what I'm currently doing now... It's a few days I'm on his neck via emails, but has yet to reply.
I wonder if he (the solicitor) made the 5% Stamp Duty payment to the Revenue or if he, em.. you know...
BTW, he was fully aware of my situation!
Can't wait to go to the Revenue!!! :D
Xserty

I'm on his neck via emails, but has yet to reply.
You would be better of writing to him instead. It's more formal and likely to get a response than emails or phone calls in my experience. Just set out your queries clearly and calmly and see what he has to say.

You would be better of writing to him instead. It's more formal and likely to get a response than emails or phone calls in my experience. Just set out your queries clearly and calmly and see what he has to say.

He has been working for my parents for years now, I'm sure he will get back to me asap (he probably out of the office). I'll give him this week anyway.
Even because, before going ahead in writing or by the means of my new solicitor, I would like to check the Revenue directly.
Xserty

From Revenue:

Can I avail of first time buyer relief if I previously received a gift of a house?

The relief can be claimed where the gift of the house was received prior to 22 June 2000 (or prior to 27 June 2000 in the case of part of a house). A gift received after the above date(s) is regarded as a prior purchase and would preclude a person from claiming the relief.

mf

From Revenue:

Can I avail of first time buyer relief if I previously received a gift of a house?

The relief can be claimed where the gift of the house was received prior to 22 June 2000 (or prior to 27 June 2000 in the case of part of a house). A gift received after the above date(s) is regarded as a prior purchase and would preclude a person from claiming the relief.

mf

That is an interesting point! Pity I received the gift prior to 22 June 2000! :( It really looks like I've paid excessive Stamp Duty! :mad:
Last thing I can do is check with the Revenue and see if 5% S.D. has effectively been paid.
Thanks for all your help lads... you have been of great help to me. :)
Kind regards,
Xserty

If you feel the need to see exactly how much was paid then you can always get a copy of the Deed under which you purchased.

If the title was registered in the Land Registry then you can get a copy of the dealing - the transaction under which your title was registered. It costs E25.00 and the Transfer will show the amount of duty paid.

If the title was unregistered, then the Deed will be with your Title Deeds. If you have no mortgage, then you simply look at your deeds and the stamp duty will be shown on the Deed. If you have a mortgage, then ask your lender to send you a copy of the Deed.

mf

If you feel the need to see exactly how much was paid then you can always get a copy of the Deed under which you purchased.

If the title was registered in the Land Registry then you can get a copy of the dealing - the transaction under which your title was registered. It costs E25.00 and the Transfer will show the amount of duty paid.

If the title was unregistered, then the Deed will be with your Title Deeds. If you have no mortgage, then you simply look at your deeds and the stamp duty will be shown on the Deed. If you have a mortgage, then ask your lender to send you a copy of the Deed.

mf

I wish I had no mortgage! :p
I suppose the easiest way to find out is by asking the lender then. It saves me a trip to city centre! :p
Tnx!
Xserty

Back