stamp duty

P

psamuels

I am currently buying a home at the purchase pice of 270,000. I have had to provide the deposit of 15,000, paid the survey fee, I have the brokers fee and now my solicitor has sent me a total of all fees incurred which include stamp duty. The total is a whopping 9,645 required before or at completion. Is there any way the stamp duty can be waived and if not, is there a period of time payment can be deferred and paid at least a month later???? Infromation needed as of yesterday.

Kind regards
psamuels
[email protected]

Is this a new property? If the good news is there will be no Stamp Duty if its less than 125sqm and buying to live in yourself.
If its not and you are a first time buyer , then there is no duty payable either.
However if duty is payable, then any expenses in the sale are irrelevant. The tax is levied on the transaction amount, in this case 270,000. All the costs cannot be deducted from stamp duty payable.
Duty must be paid within a period of time after the transaction-ask you solicitor about this, as he is the one that will be making the return of te money on your behalf.

Back