Stamp duty on site

lyonsa3

Novice here and know very little about buying a site to build. If I buy a site with planning permission do I pay stamp duty on the cost of the site or the size of the house to be built on it?

Also if I get outline planning permission on a site how long is it valid for and am I guaranteed to get full planning in the future if I co-operate with suggestions of the planning board?

Hi lyonsa3

You have to pay 9% stamp duty on the site.
Both outline planning permission and full planning permission last for 5 years from the date permission was granted.

I chcked this out before & I was advised that the SD is 9% on the site. However if it is a serviced site then the total cost of the site will include VAT. The stamp duty is applicable to the pre VAT price.

Lyonsa,

If buying a site, always buy Subject to Planning.
May sound obvious but the amount of people I've seen buy a site then go looking for planning (and fail) would suprise you.

Outline Planning Permission is really an agreement in practice by the Council to let you build a house at that location. As with all planning, their will be criteria attached to the final planning.

ninsaga,

Are you sure it's a straight 9% on all sites?

According to www.oasis.gov.ie 9% is only payable on sites over €150K:

Rates of stamp duty on land/housing sites without residential buildings:

Up to 10,000 euro Exempt
10,001 euro - 20,000 euro 1%
20,001 euro - 30,000 euro 2%
30,001 euro - 40,000 euro 3%
40,001 euro - 70,000 euro 4%
70,001 euro - 80,000 euro 5%
80,001 euro - 100,000 euro 6%
100,001 euro - 120,000 euro 7%
120,001 euro - 150,000 euro 8%
Over 150,000 euro 9%

I believe, as techman, there is a rising scale, from 10K- 150K, for sites
with no connected agreement to build a house or apartment

If there is an agreement regarding building of a dwelling,
then stamp duty will be charged, subject to the reliefs referred to above, based on the aggregate amount of the site cost and the building cost at the appropriate residential property rate.

as per revenue explanatory guide [broken link removed].

read the revenue guide as shown above, scroll down to section labelled "sites".

Back