St Anthony's Road, Rialto

JohnTheThird

Hey, not thinking of moving to this road looking at renting relatively close to it on the South Circular, or anywhere in the Rialto vicinity really. Just wondering, why does it get such a bad rap online? I've seen it described as anything from one of Dublin's no-go areas to "one of the roughest streets in all of Dublin". Have walked to and from the off license on the next street up from it at night on one or two occasions, and walked up it to the Luas at Fatima (lot of friends living nearby on SCR), never noticed anything about it other than the fact that half of it is boarded up.

So basically I'm just wondering is the reputation purely to do with aesthetics (certainly a street with as much apparent illegal dumping and a high number of derelict homes isn't exactly a beauty spot), or is there more to it than that? One local lad hinted that one of the derelict houses is in fact occupied on and off by a bunch of gang-types, but that's pure hearsay. Also strikes me that the reputation could be more to do with Dolphin House being around the corner, but it seems to have quietened down a lot over the years, or else we've just been lucky enough not to encounter any hassle.

Looking for any insight from anyone who lives, lived, or even just hangs out nearby, or indeed on St Anthony's Road itself - what's the story with it? Is it honestly any worse than any bog-standard inner-city road?

Most of Rialto is fine, especially down near New Ireland Road. I'm not sure why St Anthony's Rd has such a bad rap, other than being told "it's like a war zone down there". Certainly the number of burnt and boarded up houses (I'm not sure which came first, the fires or the boarding up) makes it look terrible. But then the streets parallel aren't like that at all. So can't tell you. Would be interested if anyone else knows, though.

Couple of discussion threads elsewhere from last couple of years:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/3zscv7/rialto_area_anyone_know_the_place_and_could_give/
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=60971

One of them makes the point that with the new Children's Hospital being built, there'll be a lot more people living in the area, and visiting. Also it seems there's an Educate Together school in Basin Lane. No idea as to the state of the road, but there are some houses there for sale at the moment.

Last edited:
Back