Square Yards?

S

Starsign

This may seem like a dumb question but how do you work out square yards? I am buying a new house and am thinking of putting the same neutral coloured carpet on the stairs, landing and 2 of the bedrooms. I have measured all the rooms in feet and was just trying to work out how much it would cost to carpet this space. The price of carpets always seems to be per sq yard - was going to aks in the shop but didnt want to appear stupid!! How do you work out sq yards??? House is not ready til Sept but just trying to work out the cost for my budget!!
Starsign

square yards

1 yard = 3 feet
1 square yard = 3 x 3 square feet = 9 square feet

square yards

For what it's worth Google has a built in calculator with conversion capabilities. If you type "10 square yards in metres" into the search box and click search it comes back with the result. Similarly if you type in "1 yard in feet" it gives you the result above. I thought it was very clever when a colleague discovered it a few months ago! 8o

Paint your skirting boards first.

Yeah, until the guy in the carpet shop starts talking about widths and matching. I was conned in to getting the extra thick underlay that unfortunately is so cushioned that when you move the furniture there are large dents in the carpet.

Square Yards

If 1 yard = 3 feet
How come 1 sq yard is 9 sq feet??
A bit confused .....

A square whose sides are 1 yard long is 1yard x 1 yard = 1 square yards (or yards squared) in area. Since the sides are also 3 feet in lengths the same square is 3 feet x 3 feet = 9 square feet in area. QED.

Back