Splitting up with partner -house in NE- promising to pay her half

toni_mrphy

Hi
I know he are all sick of reading the same ole stories but please someone advise me.
As above I bought a house with partner in 2007 for €270( mortgage for €248k as we both put a deposit of €16k each) .
On a tracker paying €757.
Balance on mortgage is €203( we paid €15k off principal when PTSB (were doing the 10% deal )
My partner is not Irish though has a work permit and works in a large multinational ( I work same place ) .
She is applying for Irish citizenship this year .
Anyway notice she was behaving strangely and so I looked through her emails ( I know ) . She is having an affair and planning to move to the uk ( asking the company for a transfer she is likely to get )
I confronted her she denied the affair but admits she wants to leave me and start a new life in London .
she swears she will keep paying her half of the mortgage but I am doubtful .
She said she is willing to sign a legal form saying she will continue to pay half. Would such a form hold up in court?
She earns 70€ has shares worth €35k.
I earn 44k have a large cu loan and bad credit history .
Any advice please .

Thanks again for reading this

Presumably the Irish citizenship is in order for her to live in the UK. It's good for you that she is going the UK route as it makes it easier to ensure she does indeed pay the mortgage. You need to keep things as amicable as possible between you even though you are presumably upset with her.

Don't see what difference her signing a document will make as she is contractually obliged to pay back the mortgage already.

Ideally the property should be transferred into your name but with your bad credit history your bank are unlikely to agree to this.

Have you both discussed what would be an ideal solution for you both? What is the value of the property. If she did cease to pay the mortgage would you be able to cover it?

Thank you for the reply
Yes citizenship is required she is eligible to apply end of march . She seems to think she can transfer then.
The current value is approx €110k mortgage is €200k.
We have a tracker so I could cover the full payment for now but if rates were to go up I may struggle .
To be honest I am not sure what the ideal solution would be ...I think I am still in a little shock .

We have a tracker so I could cover the full payment for now but if rates were to go up I may struggle .

Are you able to get extra income under the rent a room scheme, and overpay the mortgage to get down the NE? In addition if you do this you will have less of a shock if interest rates rise (good news is that there are on hold and looks like it will be that way for the forseeable future). Any chance if you got a tenant your ex would put some of their savings towards the capital balance of the mortgage, to help sort it out even more.

Thanks Bronte .

The update is she will take over the mortgage and remove my name . She rang PTSB and asked what needed to be done to get my name off the mortgage .
She said the guy she spoke to was very helpful , he said it is a very straight forward process she had to fill out a few forms and there was a fee of €125 .

A few days later some forms arrived from PTSB .
There is a salary certificate that she must get her employer to fill out . They are also looking for pay slips etc .

There is also another "transfer request " form that she must fill in and send back to PTSB .

SO my question is by filling out the forms required and returning them to PTSB can they change the tracker without her agreeing ? Should she send a letter along with the forms stating that she wants to kept the tracker?

Well that's a great result Toni, your ex is not so bad after all. It's great to see someone stepping up to the plate and sorting things out without walking away and leaving an ex partner in the mire. Well done your ex (on this !).

About the tracker, hopefully they will keep it, look at the other threads on here about that.

Back