Spiced Beef

Flexible

Hi I bought some Spiced Beef they other day and would like to cook it. It came in a bag and it has no instructions regards cooking time. Any cooks/chefs out there who could advise. Thaks

I don't know I will have to investigate when I get home. It felt like it wasn't ie cold,fleshy.

What type of meat was it? Minced, I would fry. Joint I would roast. Steaks I would also fry.

What type of meat was it? Minced, I would fry. Joint I would roast. Steaks I would also fry.

Spiced beef is a joint, usually boiled with spices (hence the name) and then served cold, sliced. Google 'spiced beef recipe'?

You boil spiced beef - 40 mins per lb and 40 over. Add guinness or cider to water for the last hour of cooking time.

Put it in cold water, cover, bring to boil, simmer away as per above.

You boil spiced beef - 40 mins per lb and 40 over. Add guinness or cider to water for the last hour of cooking time.

Put it in cold water, cover, bring to boil, simmer away as per above.

It's better to err by over-cooking than under-cooking, as it is typically brisket, and can be a bit tough.

I heard a tip yesterday: let it cool down in the liquid, and it will be more moist and tender.

Agreed Padraigb - good tip re cooling in the liquid - I usually drain and cover with tin foil and allow to cool.

I would boil OK but I should have pointed out whether to leave it in the bag or take it out.

It's better to err by over-cooking than under-cooking, as it is typically brisket, and can be a bit tough.

I heard a tip yesterday: let it cool down in the liquid, and it will be more moist and tender.

40 minutes per lb is a lot in my opinion, I would aim for more like 20 minutes per lb. As suggested, add a can of guinness to the cooking water and let it cool in the same water. More of a gentle simmer than a "boil" too.

Went for the 40min per pound and 40min over, left out the Guinness and wrapped in tin foil. Worked a treat. Thanks all and Happy Christmas.

Back