Specific queries re Jobseeker's Benefit

J

Joe1968

From the beginning of March 2008 my nephew, having been let go, will be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit as he has enough credits. I have been examining his entitlements and have three specific queries:

• Tax Refund - I understand that he will be entitled to a Tax Refund(Form P50) because tax will have been deducted from his salary in January and February 2009. Will he receive a refund of all his tax paid in January and February?

• Rent Supplement He is currently renting a room in town for €700 a month in Dublin. I understand that he will be entitled to Rent Allowance up to a maximum of €98 per week. He thinks that he should move home soon, to live with his parents for free, but I've thought of two alternatives:

• Can he ask the Landlord to reduce the rent to the maximum rent level and then avail of his rent supplement? He could then pay the Landlord an agreed amount in addition to the rent supplement every month; or

• Can he move home to live with his parents but claim rent supplement (to the maximum level for that county) for renting a room in his parents' house and therefore pay his parents his rent supplement?

3. Timing of signing-on – His last day in work will be the last Friday in February. Is he under an obligation to attend his local Social Welfare Office on the first Monday in March or by a specific date? If not, will his claim be backdated to the beginning of March from whatever date he does turn up?

Thanks

In relation to Rent Supplement, he cannot claim a supplement if he's living at home.

If the maximum rent limit for Dublin is €98 per week, it is unlikely he will receive Rent Supplement for a property of €700 per month on an ongoing basis. He may get a few weeks' grace because he's just become unemployed to allow him to re-negotiate the rent or find somewhere cheaper.

Rent Supplement is not payable if the rent is in excess of the limit set for the county. If the landlord charges a different amount to the amount he declares on the Rent Supplement Application form (the landlord must complete one section of the form) it could be seen as facilitating Social Welfare fraud. It would also place a very heavy burden on your nephew, requiring him to pay a very large amount to rent from his SW income.

He should make contact with the SW Local office as soon as he becomes unemployed - I understand the offices are operating an appointment system, and will advise him when to come in. You'll find very useful information on signing on in the sticky post at the top of this forum.

Back