Spanish citizen resident in Ireland - Spanish inheritance coming my way

SeverianoB

I'm not really a new poster but I created a new username because I feel I need to be a little too specific with my query. I hope this is OK.

As the title says I am a Spanish citizen. I moved to Ireland almost 20 years ago. I have lived here ever since except for a 6-month period during the last crisis in which we lived in a different EU country, after which period we returned to Ireland. I married an EU citizen and have 2 children who have always lived in Ireland and continue to do so.

I have always worked in the public sector in Ireland. My salary is my only source of income. I have no assets or even a bank account in Spain.

Unfortunately, my dad passed away a few months ago. I am going to receive a small bit of money to begin with probably within the next few weeks or months, straight from a savings account my dad had set up for my siblings and me. It looks like a bigger chunk will also be coming my way at a later date as my mum sells the family home and downsizes (already in process).

I have no idea what happens to the tax aspect of a Spanish inheritance in Ireland so I have a ton of questions:

Do I pay tax in Spain and be exempt here? I would like to think I won't be taxed twice.
Will AIB freeze the money when it appears into my account until I explain where it comes from?
Are there any specific documents I need for the bank or Revenue? Maybe a death certificate and a Spanish tax certificate?

If anyone has been in this situation before, I would be very grateful if they could share some insight.

Thanks in advance

You live and work in Ireland, I presume you pay your taxes in Ireland so I'm pretty sure you will be deemed taxable in Ireland on anything that may be due from your Dad in Spain. Ireland does have a double taxation agreement with Spain so I doubt very much you'll have to pay taxes on the double. For tax purposes you'll have to give more information on amount the inheritance is for anyone to assess what your liability to tax in Ireland might be. I have no idea what the situation is in Spain as regards inheritances.

Back