South faceing house ? ..... Con

D

Daithi

Friends of mine just bought a house in a houseing estate. They were raving that they had the only south faceing house left and how fantastic they were to get it :)
The estate agent told them this of course and they swallowed it and paid their deposit and signed contracts.

I saw the plans last night. The house is South faceing alright but it the front door thats South faceing, not the garden.
In fact i think they will be lucky EVER to get sun on their garden as its a 2 storey houe with a 15 ft x 12 ft garden faceing directly NORTH. with 6 foot high fences all around.

If they are lucky they might get the last 5 feet of the garden in Sun for about 1 month every year.

Lesson to everyone.

Beware of South faceing shpeel from estate agents

Also discussed a little

Try to view the house at lunchtime to satisfy yourself you are not getting a north facing back garden....or bring a compass!

People who are that geographically challenged should bring a less geographically challenged person with them .

My neighbour in a new estate years ago slept in a tent in the (then) field to see where the sun rose the next morning . She wanted the morning sun in her garden, I was opposite here and had the evening sun which is what I wanted at the time .

Not the maddest thing I ever heard of , caveat ineptus

My first house was north facing - big back garden approx. 60-70 feet. Still, no sun into the garden and had to have the lights on permanently.

Second house, south facing, purely chosen by accident, I liked the way it faced a green to the front and the difference to the kitchen, dining room is unreal. Having had both, I would never ever buy a house with a full north facing garden again.

What I have noticed in new developments, however, is that that they are charging huge premiums for the houses with South Facing rear gardens.

They hadn't copped onto that when I bought mine three years ago, I got the South facing by default.

If your friend has been charged a premium for the South Facing aspect, I would be looking for a refund.

North faceing

North facing garden is only ok with a Bungalow i think.
The house is not high enough to cast much of a shadow on the garden.
Then if the garden is small you've got a problem.dont think they paid a premium on the house but wouldnt be surpeised if they did as they went on about i so much

Re: North faceing

Is it really that bad? I am just about to buy a semi detached, with north facing garden. The property has a driveway, small garden and bay windows and master bedroom, all facing south, but the kitchen-diner and two bedrooms are north facing!

south east facing

The house i'm about to close on has a long south east facing garden. Is that ideal, because I read on some astrological site that in the summer time the sun sets in the North West, which would mean it drops right over the house.

Am I laughing??

Re: North faceing

Clueless, your best bet would be to visit a family member or friends house with north facing during the late morning , early afternoon on a nice sunny day and see the result. Or better still try one more viewing on the house you intend to buy. I think it brings on a very dark cold feel, but which when splashed in sunshine would lighten up the kitchen / dining room. if they are upstairs bedrooms I wouldn't mind too much (only used a night?).Its a personal preference though

I like the sun setting on the garden in the evening

If the garden is big enough (more than 20 feet long) and the house is a bungalow then a north faceing garden gets plenty of sun.

Lets face it you wont be in the garden in the dead of winter anyway.

Its not as big a deal as its made out to be for most people so i wouldnt worry too much.

I like the sun setting on the garden in the evening in the summer, So dont mind too much as long as the garden can see west in the evening.

Much rather have sun in the evening than the morning (gone to work in the morning).

Re: I like the sun setting on the garden in the evening

It's not that I want to defend estate agents or anything but:

To face: v. intr.
To be turned or placed with the front toward a specified direction.

A 'south-facing house' means that the front of the house faces south.

I suppose they didn't lie

But they shouldn't have made out that it was a feature.

Re: I suppose they didn't lie

Why not? They were not lying. Caveat emptor.

Lesson to everyone.

Beware of South faceing shpeel from estate agents

Or else view the actual property (or plans if buying off them) and worh things our for yourself rather than relying on summary descriptions.

Back