South Africa Safari for 2 weeks in August

D

Daithi

I know its winter there but im told its just as good as summer.
Anyone any advice on a plan of action?
Thanks.

2 weeks is a long time for a safari ... a few days is probably plenty - spend the rest of the 2 weeks elsewhere in South Africa.

I think for Safari in Southern Africa you are basically choosing between going to the Kruger Park (enormous National Park in the NE of the country along the border with Mozambique) or going to one of the smaller private game reserves some close to Kruger, some elsewhere

I think August is a decent time to go to Kruger .. despite being winter the weather should be decent and there's no problem with Malaria at that time of year

As for the Private reserves I've not been to any so I cant' really comment ... perhpas others can add to this.

There's loads of stuff on the net about it .. Google is your friend do some research on it :)

Daithi,

This might be worth looking at

All kinds of accommodation and prices.

Their Autumn/Winter is the best time to see the animals because less foliage. Krugar and the whole country is
magical. And you do need malaria tablets as someone else wrote.

Mandela was in jail when I was there so maybe put
Robin Island on the list - and ? the Blue Train.

It might be worth checking with Trailfinders for price
comparisons.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advise.
I'll definitely check out those sites and take your advice on board.
Might drive from capetown to kruger and stop off a few places on the way.

I can highly recommend Mkhaya private game reserve in Swaziland. Its top class and as its their land the rangers can drive off road and right up to the animals. An elephant came within 1 foot of my face at the front of the jeep - thats something I'll never forget. You stay in as much luxury (a class stone hut which is massive) as the private reserves in South Africa, get 4 top quality meals and 3 game drives during your 24 hour stay - and I think it worked out at €100 each for the whole lot, as opposed to €800-€900 each for the private game reserves in SA. Only bad thing I can think about this park is theres no cats, but I still recommend it as its an amazing 24 hours stay (staying for one 24 hour day is long enough) and then you can go do some cat spotting in another park.

haven't been to kruger as my South African colleagues advised staying away - they said its way overpriced, and is so massive it can be a bit hit and miss.

Hluhuwe-Umfolozi park is another brilliant one I went to - did a full day guided tour there and covered 250 miles and saw plenty. Guided tour is better if you ask me as youll be surprised how much better the guides are at spotting things even from a distance when driving. Safari is absolutely brilliant, and I'd love to do a walking safari just to get the feel of being out there amongst it (though youll probably see less animals - HU have a good walking tour but book well in advance as for all tours), but if you're just driving 2, maybe 3 days tops will do it.

Also in that corner of the country (Kwa-Zula Natal or whatever its called) is the amazing Sodwana Bay - one of top ten scuba locations in the world and an amazing beach and nature reserve (few animals but great scenery) to boot - waking up to find 3 monkeys playing in our outdoor shower is somethng I won't forget. And the St. Lucia National Park is good for hippos and crocs.

I was only there for 3 weeks and will be back, but managed to fit plenty in. 2 days capetown, then few days up the garden route (knysna and plettenburg bay are lovely, and the Otinequa Tjoe-Choe scenic train journey from George to Knysna is great), and fly up to Durban (got it for €50 each, day there and drive up to Hluhuwe-Umfolozi/Sodwana Area for couple of days, then 2 nights in Swaziland then fly to Jo'burg (got it for €75 each) and home is the bones of what we did and it was amazing.

i had a post on www.lonelyplanet.com in the thorn tree forums section on africa about it but cant find it (it was around September 2004) but if I find the link I'll but it up. Otherwise check out that forum for great info on itineraries and flights etc.

PS. IMHO joburg is an absolute hole so stay a maximum of one night

Re: ...

Daithi,

Capetown-Kruger is a hell of a drive - about 2000km I think .. It would be like driving from Dublin to Rome

Also there's not a whole lot in between CT and the Kruger if you're driving the main road - mostly very empty. As stated above I would agree that Johannesburg is an absolute hole - you'll probably have to fly in and out of there as that's where most flights go to but I wouldn't spend any time there.

Jo'burg-Kruger is drive-able (4/5 hours) ... CT-Jo'burg has plenty of fairly reasonably priced flights - this would be the more sensible thing to do probably if you wanted to visit both areas (there are flights right up to the edge of the Kruger to Nelspruit and other places but I think they are quite expensive)

Roads in South Africa are of a good standard (better than here for the most part) - distances are pretty big though (petrol is cheaper than here but not that cheap)

Kruger is big yes (about the size of Wales they say) .. but I certainly found lots of wildlife (lions, leopards, cheetah and more Elephants, Hippo etc than u can shake a stick at) and it certainly wasn't expensive at all. The way the Kruger works is you drive yourself around between dawn and dusk (main roads are paved - other roads not but you don't need a 4wd) .. At night there are camps run by the park authorities where you can book your stay - Self Catering cottages / camping spaces - shops/restauratns available. (best to book in advance) ... From the camps you can go on organised drives (day or night) for a fee... but most of it is driving around yourself.. There are I assume organised tours where you can be driven round .. but it's probably better to do it yourself.

Back