Sorrento

J

Jildy

Can anybody personally recommend a very good 4 or 5 star hotel in Sorrento?

We stayed at Hotel Bristol, right on cliff top, overlooking Bay. Could not fault it at all. [broken link removed]

Hi Jildy

Myself and Mrs fm stayed in the Parco Dei Principi a couple of years ago - even though it is rated 5 stars we would not really recommend it.

Apparently it is famous for its authentic '60's art deco design - it is completely '60's art deco - everything from the tiles on the walls, to the ashtrays, to the phones and TV's in the rooms etc all 1960's - unfortunately neither myself nor the Mrs are great fans of Art Deco so we just thought the whole thing looked dated ! That said the view was unbeatable and the 300 meter ride down to the beach in a lift was kinda cool. Also food wasn't great and the pool could have done with a clean.

We did walk through the Bellvue Serene (I think) and thought it looked fabulous - quite a heavy Baroque feel to the place but looked salubrious.

Try and get one of the hotels within easy walking distance of the Piazza and the harbour because that's where everything happens.

Anyway, despite our problems with the hotel we loved Sorrento and would love to go back some day

efm

Thanks for the replies.

Hotels not to stay in much appreciated as well.. Just in case I book one of them !!!

I went to Sorrento last year and stayed in the Hotel President, a sister hotel of the Bristol, although it was very nice it was too far to walk to town, and the courtesy bus was very infrequent, taxis are dearer than home and also outside the town there are no paths, so you take your life in your hands trying to walk!

From the outside the Bristol looks well and is in a good spot, however it does overlook a busy road so if your room is at the front go for a high floor.

I found the following hotel review sites very helpful and accurate - www.tripadvisor.com, and www.thisistravel.co.uk

One word of advice, do your own trips to Capri, Pompeii etc, public transport is cheap and easy to use and organised trips are very expensive.

Have a lovely time, Cara Mc K.

Taxis in Sorrento are horredously overpriced.
I stayed at Hotel President which was lovely but a taxi was 27 euro to the town square.

HotelBristol is closer and should be on a par with President

Back