Somerville - and snag list

pipster2003

Hi All,
I have recently purchaned a new house in Somerville, Ratoath, Co. Meath and I am having a lot of difficulty with the builder to get things completed on the snag list. The house in one of the show houses and when I paid the booking fee I was told is was 'sold as seen' and this was explained as - if there are furnishing broken, i.e lamp, bed, then they would not be preplaced, but if there were other things damaged - then they WOULD be replaced. So, I hired a professional to do the snag list (homesnag.ie - and they are excellent). I am now being told that they will NOT fix some of the things on the snag list. What can I do about this - anyone any ideas ??

They are refusing to fix the broken tiles on the bathroom floors, broken pedistails in the bathrooms, there are doors that don't close properly, there is a large damp patch in the sitting room ceiling, the water pressure is very low in the 2 bathrooms, and there are a couple of holes in some of the walls. There is more, the original snag list was 18 pages and after they said this was all completed, my snag guy says the list is now down to 10 pages. I know some of it is very small stuff - but if you are buying a new house then everything should be working and not damaged.

pipster2003 said:
I know some of it is very small stuff - but if you are buying a new house then everything should be working and not damaged.
Just remember it will be coming out of your pocket if you dont succeed in getting them to put them right. You cant hold up the sale with any of those items so no leverage to be gained there. Only thing you can do is make sure all the items are well documented. Talk to your solicitor and see if theres any way he can think of to leverage them to carry out the work.

Having had first hand experience with the builders of this development I wouldn't hold your breath about them completing your snag list. If you haven't signed contracts and actually bought the house try and get your solicitor to include the bigger stuff in your contract or hold off actually handing over the money until the work is done. Many of the people who have bought here have given up fighting with the builder to get stuff done as it is like getting blood out of a stone. Try speaking directly to the foreman and see if he will help you out. If you get any more tiling done by the company who did the showhouse tiling they may be willing to help you out with the broken tiles. I def wouldn't accept things like broken wash basin pedestals though what ever about smaller things. The water pressure isn't good in the estate but it can be rectified by installing a pump which makes a considerable difference. Get in touch again and I'll give you any more help that I can.

pipster2003 said:
Hi All,
I have recently purchaned a new house in Somerville, Ratoath, Co. Meath and I am having a lot of difficulty with the builder to get things completed on the snag list. The house in one of the show houses and when I paid the booking fee I was told is was 'sold as seen' and this was explained as - if there are furnishing broken, i.e lamp, bed, then they would not be preplaced, but if there were other things damaged - then they WOULD be replaced. So, I hired a professional to do the snag list (homesnag.ie - and they are excellent). I am now being told that they will NOT fix some of the things on the snag list. What can I do about this - anyone any ideas ??

Did you try talking to your Building Control Officer Building Control Department in your Local County Council . They can serve enforcement notices on the builder to rectify serious breaches of the Building Regulations. (eg drainage, insulation, sound insulation in semi detached.) Usually the builder will play ball by even the mention of the building control.
Part D of the 12 parts of the Building Regulations covers Materials and Workmanship. If there is a serious breach of Regulations the Building Control Authority has an obligation (when informed in writing) to enforce or prosecute. Usually a short letter from the Building Control Officer to the builder just inquiring about situation should stir things up sufficiently to take your snag seriously.

Thank you all for your advice - finally got the keys and am in the process of getting nice and settled. Snag list got completed - I am a very happy camper now and I am looking forward now to my morning commute, more importantly I am lloking forward to the peace and quiet in the evenings. Thanks again

Back