Some Good News Stories

The Rose Of Tralee has been cancelled. Every cloud and all that.....

Probably not a view shared by the hoteliers, publicans and others in the Kerry tourist industry who will take a €10 million hit from this cancellation...

At least the IGB and greyhound industry generally will [be] denied more funding thankfully.

Last edited:
Its continued and growing popularity would suggest your views are not unanimously shared.

I am shocked that my view is not shared by everyone. What is the world coming to?

But hey lets celebrate a contest that isn't a beauty contest but bans married women and it is only 10 years since they allowed single mothers.....Ah yes it is indeed a celebration of modern Ireland. Sure didn't they have a gay winner. Well only after she won was it revealed that she was gay. She didn't mention it before hand. I wonder why??? I think Father Ted was pretty much spot on.

Anyway, this thread is going down an unexpected rabbit hole on the Rose of Tralee. I am sorry for your loss. I am sure it will be back next year so you can admire the lovely girls......

I am shocked that my view is not shared by everyone. What is the world coming to?

But hey lets celebrate a contest that isn't a beauty contest but bans married women and it is only 10 years since they allowed single mothers.....Ah yes it is indeed a celebration of modern Ireland. Sure didn't they have a gay winner. Well only after she won was it revealed that she was gay. She didn't mention it before hand. I wonder why??? I think Father Ted was pretty much spot on.

Anyway, this thread is going down an unexpected rabbit hole on the Rose of Tralee. I am sorry for your loss. I am sure it will be back next year so you can admire the lovely girls......

I've never been to the Rose of Tralee or even watched it on the TV.
I don't have an opinion on it either way but I have great sympathy for the many people in Kerry whose livelihoods will be badly affected by this cancellation.
The tourist sector is a key part of the Irish economy and annual festivals like this will play a vital role in the country's recovery when this is all over.

I've never been to the Rose of Tralee or even watched it on the TV.
I don't have an opinion on it either way but I have great sympathy for the many people in Kerry whose livelihoods will be badly affected by this cancellation.
The tourist sector is a key part of the Irish economy and annual festivals like this will play a vital role in the country's recovery when this is all over.
The last thing to be re-opened/ allowed will be festivals, concerts, sporting events and other mass gatherings.

The last thing to be re-opened/ allowed will be festivals, concerts, sporting events and other mass gatherings.

Correct.
It's impossible to see any of these things happening again until a vaccine has been found.
The expected second spike later this year will confirm this although it will be interesting to see if there's a rapid re-mergence of the virus in those US states which are rushing into re-opening as normal as possible.
I'm not even sure smaller gatherings such as pubs etc will be possible here at all this year.

Not so much good news, but in the category of random bonkers stuff you come across because of the virus...

THE SWEDISH UNIVERSITY town of Lund will spread foul-smelling chicken fertiliser in its main park this week to deter revellers holding spring celebrations as part of efforts to curb the coronavirus outbreak. City officials have asked residents to skip the traditional Walpurgis Eve celebrations today, known in Sweden as Valborg, and plan to fence off the Lund city park. But they told AFP they would also go a step further and take the opportunity to spread one tonne of chicken droppings in the park. While giving the lawns a welcome dose of nutrition, they also hope it will keep at bay those who would otherwise be tempted to defy the coronavirus restrictions

I don't know if this qualifies as a Coronavirus Good Story. Mods, feel free to delete if not.

Mrs Lep was always good at baking cakes for birthdays in the shape of Goldilocks, Sleeping Beauty, Denis the Menace, Thomas the Tank Engine, Cork Hurling Jersey and lots more, Since retiring I cottoned onto the cooking/baking and now give a hand. One of our grandchildren has a birthday tomorrow. I baked the cake and coated it with butter icing. Not a bad effort from me. My grandson wanted to be surprised at whatever shape I chose for the cake. The cake is fully iced and is in the shape and colours of the corona virus. I don't know if I'll be the best grandfather in the world or shot by this time tomorrow!

Last edited:
I don't know if this qualifies as a Coronavirus Good Story. Mods, feel free to delete if not.

Mrs Lep was always good at baking cakes for birthdays in the shape of Goldilocks, Sleeping Beauty, Denis the Menace, Thomas the Tank Engine, Cork Hurling Jersey and lots more, Since retiring I cottoned onto the cooking/baking and now give a hand. One of our grandchildren has a birthday tomorrow. I baked the cake and coated it with butter icing. Not a bad effort from me. My grandson wanted to be surprised at whatever shape I chose for the cake. The cake is fully iced and is in the shape and colours of the corona virus. I don't know if I'll be the best grandfather in the world or shot by this time tomorrow!
Brilliant!

Super stuff, Lep! You have to post a photo!

Back