Some Good News Stories

Unless you're lying in a hospital bed being fed oxygen to keep you alive every day is good news.
I dunno, if you are dying of something else, suffering addiction or mental health issues, watching your child die of leukemia or any number of things that are far far worse them Covid 19 then it's not a good day. The vast tide of human suffering hasn't stopped ebbing and flowing just because of this new thing. There always were, and still are, far worse things going on in the world.
Given that so many people die of diseases related to poverty in so many places in the world I can't help feeling that the reaction of the rich world to Covid 19 is somewhat self indulgent. There are hundreds of millions of people who would love Covid 19 to be their biggest health risk.

I dunno, if you are dying of something else, suffering addiction or mental health issues, watching your child die of leukemia or any number of things that are far far worse them Covid 19 then it's not a good day. The vast tide of human suffering hasn't stopped ebbing and flowing just because of this new thing. There always were, and still are, far worse things going on in the world.
Given that so many people die of diseases related to poverty in so many places in the world I can't help feeling that the reaction of the rich world to Covid 19 is somewhat self indulgent. There are hundreds of millions of people who would love Covid 19 to be their biggest health risk.

Indeed. We have children from poorer families unable to access any form of education or struggling to access even a proper meal. We have people living in houses where domestic abuse has been amplified by the lockdown. We have mentally ill people struggling to access services and all community help ceased. We have people who have lost family members with no avenue to grieve. We have young children missing out on social interaction during their most formative years. We have people who have lost jobs and people who have had to close their business with no idea when or even if they will be able to reopen. We have thousands of doctors and nurses coming home to their families every evening that they are putting their loved ones as risk. We have healthy over 70's not allowed to leave their house or meet their family and friends and are aging every day this goes on. We have people worried about family in nursing homes. We are looking at health, economic and societal consequences to this crisis that will go on for years.

The idea that anyone who isn't hooked up to an oxygen machine should be thanking their lucky stars is a good example of why some people in the UK, the US and even here will never understand what damage this pandemic has caused.

Woops, forgot this is the good news thread...….

If you're lying in an ICU bed drowning in your own mucus I still think all the other things you mentioned would be preferable.
Not by much, admittedly, but everything is relative.

If you're lying in an ICU bed drowning in your own mucus I still think all the other things you mentioned would be preferable.
Not by much, admittedly, but everything is relative.
What, watching your child die of lukemia?

What, watching your child die of lukemia?

Well personally I would prefer to be there with them rather than lying in an ICU ward unable to move.
But I'm not really interested in trading pointless inanities with you.

:)
On a positive note the HSE has more than enough respirators. That must be the case as they have failed to respond to Irish companies offering to provide them with respirators.
They must also have lots of PPE since they have failed to respond to Irish companies who have contacted them offering to make PPE for them.

I'm not a fan of Communist Party type "good news stories" which mask reality.

Seems they do have enough respirators as they are made in galway. Their stock is currently in the region of 2,000+ with more on the way to bring levels to 2800.
They have plenty of certain types of ppe. Plenty of standard facemasks, a good stock of N95 masks, but they did (possibly still do) have a shortage of gowns and perspex masks.

I don't understand the context of your comment. Headline from the Indo: - "Coronavirus Latest Updates: Biggest daily death toll as Covid-19 claims 77 more lives in Ireland"

Yesterday's Covid briefing was the first time I had heard Doctor Honohan give out these figures .Its surely good to tell about recoveries everyday and it was certainly good to hear there is no backlog on testing ,that we have ability to test up to 10000 per day and have only 1300 to 1500 being referred at the minute which with even up to 20% being positive at worse case, it has our dailyrate less than 300.

Extraordinary stuff in the UK charts...

Captain Tom Moore has become the oldest artist to reach number one on the UK singles chart as his rendition of You’ll Never Walk Alone landed in the top spot in time for his 100th birthday. The war veteran has already raised more than £28 million for the NHS by walking laps of his garden; and his song, with Michael Ball and The NHS Voices Of Care Choir, is part of his continued fundraising during the coronavirus crisis. His chart victory comes after his closest competitor, The Weeknd, asked his fans to support Captain Tom, rather than back his track Blinding Lights.

A group of 25 Dutch students with limited sailing experience have ended a transatlantic voyage forced on them by coronavirus restrictions.
The youngsters, aged 14 to 17, and watched over by 12 experienced crew members and three teachers, were on an educational cruise of the Caribbean when the pandemic caused them to radically change their plans for returning home in March. Instead of flying back from Cuba as originally planned, the crew and students stocked up on supplies and warm clothes and set sail for the northern Dutch port of Harlingen, a five-week voyage of nearly 7,000km, on board the 60-metre top sail schooner Wylde Swan.

A group of 25 Dutch students with limited sailing experience have ended a transatlantic voyage forced on them by coronavirus restrictions.
The youngsters, aged 14 to 17, and watched over by 12 experienced crew members and three teachers, were on an educational cruise of the Caribbean when the pandemic caused them to radically change their plans for returning home in March. Instead of flying back from Cuba as originally planned, the crew and students stocked up on supplies and warm clothes and set sail for the northern Dutch port of Harlingen, a five-week voyage of nearly 7,000km, on board the 60-metre top sail schooner Wylde Swan.

What an adventure of a lifetime.And what a good news story.Fair dues to the parents for allowing it to happen.

Boris is back at work

Indeed - Boris is very popular amongst my UK chums and even those who would not normally think of themselves as Tories are cheered by his return to No10. It's clear he had a very close brush with the Grim Reaper.

Reactions: mtk
Back