solicitors, wills, advice please!

terrysgirl33

Aaaarrrggghhh. Having a hard time making up my mind at the moment. I contacted someone I know about a recommendation for a solicitor to make out a will. He suggested his wife, as she is a solicitor, but I don't know if it's a good idea to use someone you know (we aren't very close, but we are friendly IYKWIM), or to use someone recommended but that you don't know personally. I can't decide if it's a good idea or not, and would appreciate advice...

I believe in having my own doctor, dentist, accountant and solicitor ( I am one also). They have my records and they have a connection with me. A good solicitor ( and personal recommendation is the best way of finding one) will have some idea about your personal circumstances and so if you decide one day to leave everything to the Cats and Dogs Home may gently remind you ( e.g.) that you are married and have certain obligations to your spouse!!
Some of my clients do not like anyone knowing any of their business and that makes it hard to advise them as you cannot be sure what is going on.

Its up to you but if you do go to someone who does not know anything about you be sure to fill them in on anything relevant - e.g. marital status, children, funeral arrangements, people you don't want to inherit from you etc.,etc.

One of my clients ( elderly to be fair) has a habit of not telling me anything at all and waiting for me to establish why he is there and what it is he wants! It can be very wearing.

mf

Some law firms occasionally provide a discounted/proceeds-to-charity service to groups like trade union memberships, employees of large organisations, etc.

You can also get some basic info/pointers from , Lawyer.ie, etc. — or even do it online for €16.95! (not that I'd particularly recommend the latter, but you could try out their online form to see if it throws up any items you mightn't have thought about before...).

Back