Solicitor's fees - how can they be checked/audited

Thrifty

I currently have friends who have recently been on the losing side of a Court case and are now facing the prospect of paying all legal fees. The fees from the other side's solicitors are high but i understand that these can be checked in some way. - does any anybody know what it's called (think is something like 'sent for taxation') and know where to get further information on this? thanks.

We had trouble with a solicitor in Swords when we changed houses. Despite having given us a written quote with "we guarantee your fees will not exceed this amount" at the bottom, he witheld considerably more, and stared through us when we questioned it. We did eventually get the balance back, via the Law Society, but no explanation, or appology !. ALWAYS shop around....even if you have been "with" a solicitor for years, and GET IT IN WRITING. It appears to me that the majority of them will try to get away with as much (money)as possible. Ditto for auctioneers !.

I wouldn't place much trust in the Taxing Master. He will award a 20% reduction on the costs which solicitors already pumped up by 20% so you are still screwed. The only good news is that the Taxing Master is shortly to be consigned to the legal scrap heap and replaced by a legal ombusdsman in new year.

Back