Solicitor releasing payment

tedmundo

As part of the divorce agreement the family home was to be sold and the proceeds split 50/50. The closing statement was received from the selling solicitor and the monies to be split agreed by both parties, all fairly straight forward.

My ex’s solicitor is the sole solicitor selling the house appears to have paid them their money a month ago and I am having difficulty getting a straight answer on when payment will be released to me.

Are there any guidelines for solicitors to settle both parties money on an account at the same time?

Without having to go the Law society or another solicitor is there anything that can be included in a final letter to the selling solicitor when may push them into action and release payment?

Thanks

Did you not have a solicitor acting for you in the divorce proceedings? Your share of the money would normally be routed through your own solicitor. That's the first port of call.

If you didn't have a solicitor ( a bad idea anyway but that's now over) then hound the solicitor who sold the property.

I wouldn't waste any time.
I would write a letter to him asking for the money within 3 working days or else you will ask the Law Society's assistance in recovering it.

Brendan
Complaints against solicitors are now dealt with by the Legal Services Regulatory Authority.
The Law Society will only deal with pre-October 2019 issues.

I had a similar problem years ago after selling a house. The money was held in their client account for months. I eventually got my money shortly after Irish Permanent was demutualised. I'm sure it was a coincidence...

Back