Solicitor & land registry

triplex

i want to switch mortgages but can't as my solicitor still hasn't registered house with Land registry even tho i bought house and paid solicitor over 2 years ago. He is charging very high fees to switch the mortgage, also, he's fairly inept, so i don't want to use him.

How can i get him to register property? bearing in mind that he's already been paid to do it - which in any other business sector could be construed as theft!

is there any regulating body i can lodge a complaint with?

thks

It may or may not be your solicitors fault. Land Registry dealings can take years depending on the county and the nature of the dealing.

You can contact the Land Registry and check the status of your dealing. If it is close to completion you can ask for it to be expedited. You can go to another solicitor then and do your remortgage. If the dealing is stuck because of some mapping problem etc.,etc., you may simply have to wait for it to be resolved.

You can lodge a complaint with the Law Society if you are dissatisfied with the service but you should first of all check precisely what the situation is.

mf

i want to switch mortgages but can't as my solicitor still hasn't registered house with Land registry even tho i bought house and paid solicitor over 2 years ago. He is charging very high fees to switch the mortgage, also, he's fairly inept, so i don't want to use him.

How can i get him to register property? bearing in mind that he's already been paid to do it - which in any other business sector could be construed as theft!

is there any regulating body i can lodge a complaint with?

thks

As mf1 says, it can take years to register the property.

You can easily change solicitor - it happens all the time where one solicitor takes on the work from another. Because the registration can take so long it's common enough for a new solicitor to 'finish off' the work of previous one.

The Law Society are the people to contact if you're still not satisfied.

Back