Solicitor Fee Query.....

LizaM

Hi All,

I have decided to talk to a solicitor regarding my 'being made redudant whilst on maternity leave scenario and am totally naive when it comes to solicitors etc.

He has said to come in for a meeting next week, does anyone know whats the normal proceudre here as regarding me paying the guy? Do they wait until and if you do get any compensation, what are these guys paid per hour? Will he discuss that with me at the meeting and would he charge me for that meeting if i decided not to go ahead?

Thanks in advance guys,

Liza

All I can say is don't be shy about asking for full disclosure "up front" (sorry, just came off particular rant! )

A lot will depend on what your lawyer thinks — at the end of your initial consultation — of the likelihood of a successful case. Which of course depends on the "full facts", of which I'd have to advise you to speak no further on a public bulletin board like AAM, if you intend taking it to court.
Do they wait until and if you do get any compensation, what are these guys paid per hour? Will he discuss that with me at the meeting and would he charge me for that meeting if i decided not to go ahead?
These are all questions you should write down in advance and note answers to, in the course of your consultation.

Absolutely agree with Dr M - Ask very clearly up front. You may even be incurring fees by simply having the initial chat. If this is a concern to you, ask beforehand.

Back