Solicitor coming off record - High Court case

pleasehelpme

Hi everyone,

My solicitor for my High Court case stopped acting for me over a year ago. I am currently trying to sort out a new solicitor to take over my case.

I paid him all his legal costs, and in exchange he gave me most of my case file back, but has refused to hand over the most important parts of it that I need for my case.

He was an absolute nightmare to deal with and caused me considerable upset and distress with how he dealt with my case and how he treated me as well.

Anyways, what do I need to do to get him to come off record, as he no longer represents me. I do not wish to represent myself and need a new legal team, but I currently have no solicitor.

I'd be very grateful for some advice, thank you all in advance

Any use?

Thank you, I read that thread but it seems to be a different situation to the one I'm in, but thank you for searching for it and providing it to me.

I don't know if you want to make a complaint about your solicitor but if you do then you do that via the Law Society.

Similarly they can probably advise you on what's involved in getting a new solicitor to take over when your old one is coming off record.

Well the problem is that, my previous solicitor was genuinely horrible to me, and I do not wish for my previous solicitor to have any interaction whatsoever with a new solicitor, once I can get one.

So I'd prefer if I could just get the previous solicitor off record and find a new solicitor myself. Would that be possible, or what might be involved?

Thanks so much

I would contact the Law Society and ask them for info about this. They have recommended (or mandated?) procedures for this scenario.

I'm reading it at the moment! You have been very helpful with my problem.

Hopefully the Law Society can help me with this issue.

Thanks everyone for your time and advice

Well the problem is that, my previous solicitor was genuinely horrible to me, and I do not wish for my previous solicitor to have any interaction whatsoever with a new solicitor, once I can get one.
You need to find a solicitor you can trust and who you are comfortable telling the whole story to. There should be no problem telling them about your previous experience, indeed having the new solicitor contact the old one to retrieve the documents you need would be in your best interest.

Solicitors are people, there are some bad in all walks of like and just because you tell the new solicitor you had a bad experience doesn't mean they will side with the other one. A good solicitor will assess the situation themselves not be swayed by another.

The complaints function of the Law Society is now handled by the Legal Services Regulatory Authority. Make an immediate complaint to them.

It is strange that the Solicitor has not handed over the file to you. If all costs are discharged, the file belongs to the client. Perhaps the Solicitor is waiting for a new Solicitor to come on record.

I would recommend that you read Charles Dickens' Bleak House

It tells how the lives of 5 or 6 people were destroyed by their obsession with their legal case and the difficulty of getting it progressed through the Courts System.

It is no different now 150 years later.

I have seen many people ruining themselves with an obsession with an unwinnable case. They blamed everyone else - their solicitor, their barrister, the system, the Law Society, the judge.

You have a High Court case and no legal team.
You want to appoint a solicitor but don't want him to talk to the previous solicitor.
Any solicitor who takes on your case with that restriction would only do so because they were desperate for work.
If they are that desperate for work, it's because they are desperate.

My guess from the limited information you have provided is that you have no case and should draw a line under it and get on with your life before this case consumes you.

Brendan

Brendan, thank you for your contribution, however with the greatest of respect, you have no idea what my case is about, or the evidence I have which supports it.

I must agree with Brendan. If you have a slam dunk guaranteed win case in the High Court, there would be a queue of solicitors willing to take it on.

No one wants to back a losing case and if you manage to find someone to take you one, be prepared to pay lots of money in advance, to cover solicitor, BL, SC and whatever other expert witnesses you need.

Back